250r or 450r?

88blasterman

Apr 20, 2011
so i bought a 86 250r thats mostly stock for $2000. should i mod it up and have about $4000 in it or should i sell it and buy 450?

if you plan on racing i would get a 450...

there is a guy locally here who raced a 250r up until this season, then he switched to a 450 and is doing 10x better on it...
his 250r was completely built.

and you cant say you rode a 400ex and think 4 strokes are boring lol... thats like riding a bicycle and saying that motorcycles are boring

Sad to say this but 450s have traction where 2 strokes have spin.
The biggest worry with a 450 is holding enough cash in reserve to do the repairs...

450r few of my friends raced them and every race somethin major was breaking on them... 250r =priceless, you can easily sell this later on if you have to, someday there will be no more to be had.

All the 450s run with minimal synthetic oil requiring changing every race or 10 hrs.
Oil shear forces are huge in these engines, destroy VI improvers, even though the oil looks clean it must be changed for top quality oil.
Chassis' are better than the old 250R, and longer duration between power pulses tends to set the tires for better traction.
Power and chassis are easier to control.

When these engines drop a valve, or in my case, break a rod, the cost is immense.

depends on the rider. for me, I'm small, the 250 was so much lighter I could do better times on it than my 450. my 450 has always been pretty reliable besides fukking electronics or water in the tank... gas tanks last so long I need to only use ethanol free. and the electronics, omg, when something goes wrong on a efi bike you can't tell where to start even :mad: never again will I get an efi quad, maybe a raptor 700 since I think yamaha did a better job but negative on the zuki efi :(