250r help needed

2g00d4u

Apr 22, 2010
Smithville, ON, Canada
hey guys I havent been on this site in a long time... its really almost alien now haha, I'm rollin on a 1992 LT250r now and I am having some issues, Its been a fight to make it idle properly cause nothing in the adjustments seems to make a difference like it should, i found that kind of odd, then i took it for a rip down the street to see if my plug was right after and when i got it wound out in 6th, i pulled in the clutch and it was still revving out by itself, so i hit the kill switch and it still kept going so i came to almost a stop and popped the clutch and killed it. This is the anthem of what my old blaster did before the motor grenaded. I'm really convinced this is an air leak somewhere.

i would like to build a leakdown tester like Ive read about on here, can anyone advise on that?
and where are the spots to check for an air leak?
my plug is a tan sort of color on the electrode too. In my experience with blasters the motor should just wind down when you pull in the clutch and let off the gas but this isn't the case.

thanks in advance

image.jpg

If it is the crank seals, cause I'm pretty sure it is, do i have to tear apart the entire engine to do it or can i leave the crank and head and center cases all together?

yea thats what i was thinking, i was planning on pulling the bike completely apart and building it back up with some new mods and cleaning it right up so it looks like thats whats happening now

I am probably going to pull the motor out of the frame tonight, I am looking it over closely and it looks like the motor was rebuilt recently before i bought it, all the blue gaskets are sticking out of the seams on the motor, but it appears I have coolant seeping around the base gasket, and a small amount emerged ontop of the head, I lost coolant at some point because it went down from full in the rad. and when i changed my transmission oil, it was kind of milky, which i don't think would come with just age.

I'm not too worried about time or expense here as I bought this quad to tear down and rebuild as a race machine, but can anyone advise on whether a seal may be gone somewhere?

Also I am going to be leak testing the motor, but i heard that the powervalves on these suzuki engines can make it difficult to get an accurate result, how can i deal with this?

I called a guy i know that works on quads and he said it may not be an air leak that made it stay revving high when i let off and pulled in the clutch, and i should check the slide isn't getting stuck open, and if it was an air leak, it would be different sort of problems (like a melted piston). I rode the quad quite a bit before that incident happened with the revs staying up and it never happened before. the quad is just running funny all around and I can't seem to pin point anything. the carb float doesn't seem to seal properly and it leaks gas when the fuel valve is left on when its not running, i know the valve is there for a reason but most quads i know that have them don't really need them if the carb is working right.