2003 YFM 250 Carb Question.....

Blaster68

Feb 13, 2012
W.Va
Hey everyone...i need some help....i have a 2003 Bear Tracker 250 and the carburetor has the main jet head stripped out from the previous owner. i tried using a EZ out, but was un successful. Can anyone tell me of another carb that will fit this bike? I have checked all of ebay, but there isnt any Mikuni BST34 carbs at all. Is there any cheap alternative instead of buying a new OEM one? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Stephen

You've got a couple options on that bike. I just browsed ebay and came up with a newly-listed replacement carb for $ 75.00 buy it now. Just search "Bear Tracker 250 Carb", and it should show up. (Sorry I can't post a direct link....Im typing this from my phone).

Since the Bear Trackers use a spigot-mount carburetor, you can replace your existing one with a same-sized (34mm) carb off another machine. Keihin or Mikuni would work. HOWEVER, the replacement carb needs to be a CV type, and you will run into tuning and throttle cable fitment issues if you switch to a Keihin or other model of Mikuni.

If I were you, Id find another good used Bear Tracker carb out there and swap it onto your bike. Easiest and least hassle.

If your existing carburetor is in otherwise-good shape, it is often possible to drill out the stripped main jet if you have a steady hand and havent already damaged the threads in the carburetor. Ive done it before and will probably have to do it again. Just work slowly and try a larger easy out again when most of the brass is drilled away. You may not be able to get it out, but you've already damaged the jet itself, so why not give it a shot? You may surprise yourself!

Reactions: slickerthanyou
You've got a couple options on that bike. I just browsed ebay and came up with a newly-listed replacement carb for $ 75.00 buy it now. Just search "Bear Tracker 250 Carb", and it should show up. (Sorry I can't post a direct link....Im typing this from my phone).

Since the Bear Trackers use a spigot-mount carburetor, you can replace your existing one with a same-sized (34mm) carb off another machine. Keihin or Mikuni would work. HOWEVER, the replacement carb needs to be a CV type, and you will run into tuning and throttle cable fitment issues if you switch to a Keihin or other model of Mikuni.

If I were you, Id find another good used Bear Tracker carb out there and swap it onto your bike. Easiest and least hassle.

If your existing carburetor is in otherwise-good shape, it is often possible to drill out the stripped main jet if you have a steady hand and havent already damaged the threads in the carburetor. Ive done it before and will probably have to do it again. Just work slowly and try a larger easy out again when most of the brass is drilled away. You may not be able to get it out, but you've already damaged the jet itself, so why not give it a shot? You may surprise yourself!

Even better info!! ^^^^ Good leg work brutha! I:I

Thanks guys for the info...i have looked at hundreds of carbs on ebay, but im still not 100% sure if its the correct one. If you guys wouldnt care, could you post the url to one of the Mikunis that would work just so i know exactly what im looking for? Many thanks for your trouble!

Stephen