2003 Blaster Restoration

I used PB blaster. I would stay away from vice grips, don't want to make any burrs on the bolt. if you weiner the socket on the bolt you should be able to work it in and out to try and get the lube inside further and further. Once you get it out be sure to clean all the penetrating oil out so it doesn't affect your new bearings. Be sure to get all the rust off of the bolt. I put a little coating of wheel bearing grease on the bolt when I put it back in.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/best-penetrating-oil-for-stuck-nuts-bolts.773380/

Interesting read, going to try the acetone/ATF mix and see does it help :)

Dad rang me while I was at college with a nice little surprise, the bike is located in his work factory at the moment and he had some spare time so decided to make himself useful and remove the swingarm bolt for me :) I didn't get a chance to do anything this week so that will help move things along. He has taken the frame for powdercoating so hopefully that will be done in the next week or so. Probably going to go with black, any suggestions otherwise?

Ok slight change of plan, frame is being galvanised first before powdercoating just to ensure no rust in the future, I don't plan on selling this anytime soon once it's finished so and the whole process will more than likely end up costing me no more than $30 :) May have a buyer for the Tri Z engine also, he's getting back to me sometime today about it :) If that sells I will have enough to basically buy the majority of the remaining parts I need

Slow progress lately, death in family and busy with other more urgent items the past few weeks, as it stands I've got the frame and swingarm back from the Powder Coaters, I've not done much else to be honest spent an hour or two with it yesterday, attached steering stem and front brake lines, put new gasket on reed cage with threebond gasket sealer, gave the a-arms and other small bits a coat of hammerite rust paint (silver) and attached the Diamond J Widening kit I purchased.

Next plan is to finish off the front of the quad in the next few days and then rebuild the swingarm with all new bearings and rubbers and start the back

Attachments

• DSC_0529.JPG
    DSC_0529.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 244
  • DSC_0530.JPG
    DSC_0530.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC_0531.JPG
    DSC_0531.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC_0532.JPG
    DSC_0532.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC_0533.JPG
    DSC_0533.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC_0534.JPG
    DSC_0534.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 230
Quick question, while rebuilding the carb with the kit I purchased I noticed I don't have a a splash guard? Is it advisable to purchase one or can I run without one?

i am sure it will run without it. It is designed to help the fuel from sloshing around while on rough terrain. I would not run without one. Nothing like running your engine dry while climbing a big hill.

i am sure it will run without it. It is designed to help the fuel from sloshing around while on rough terrain. I would not run without one. Nothing like running your engine dry while climbing a big hill.

Ye I might aswel look for one, can't imagine they would be too expensive anyway :) thanks for the reply!!

Another small update, spent another couple hours on the bike over the last few days, reassembled the whole front end, slight problem, I only ordered the Diamond J widening kit as opposed to the widening and shock conversion kit so the standard front shocks are on at the moment until I get the remaining parts from Diamond J. Also done few small jobs like installed rear shock, rebuilt my carb with the rebuild kit I had and leak tested the engine (all good)

Attachments

• DSC_0576.JPG
    DSC_0576.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC_0578.JPG
    DSC_0578.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC_0579.JPG
    DSC_0579.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC_0575.JPG
    DSC_0575.JPG