2001 kx125 well built?

Racer51

May 19, 2011
Northwest Ohio
hi was wondering what if any problems happen to kx125's from the year range 99-02 what do you guys see happen to them the most. I ask cause I'm looking at one and I had one before that had a grooved up clutch basket and to top it off the inner hub had a snaped off prong. so hopefully you guys can see my consern and skepticism. The guy claims to have just finished heat cycles and all new internals. fair dunlop tires and a full PC pipe. thanks guys for your imput

That bike has an electrofusion coated cylinder. Kawasaki was the only company that used that process. The coating is similar to other types of plating but not as durable. They switched to ceramachrome in 2002. Check around the base of the cylinder for a series of stamped numbers and letters. This will indicate that the cylinder has been re-plated. A top end with parts and plating will run you close to $400 for that bike. If the owner is telling you that the top end is new, ask to see some type of receipt. If it has a sleeved cylinder, ask him who did it. Those cylinders are very tricky when it comes to matching the ports.