2000 blaster dies when throttle hammered

Jadidaskv

Jan 24, 2017
Hey all. Im new here, looking into buying my first quad.

Its a 2000 blaster, and this is the sale ad; 2 hours on full rebuild, oem top end, hot rods crank, oem carb rebuild, all new seals and gaskets, brand new tires, new air faulted and cage, did chain, all new cables, comes with brand new shorty rear brake cable and shoes. Also has a brand new entire clutch. Quad comes with key and title and all old parts and receipts. All lights work as well

The thing looks absolutely mint. When talking to the owner, he said it idles, runs, and drives great, but stalls when you hammer the throttle. Says if you ease into it it runs and drives fine. Only dies when throttle is hammered. Supposedly it just started happening today after sitting for a couple-few months. He says he thinks its just the carb needing cleaning from sitting. If thats the case, im all for it, i just don't want to buy something thats going to be an expensive headache. He wanted $1400 obo, but said since it started doing this hell take $1000. Seems like giving up a couple-few hundred dollars instead of cleaning the carbs makes it seem like its a more serious issue. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Go for a test ride. What you describe could be a few different things. Find out how it runs in low RPM, and also in powerband.

$1k sounds like a good deal in your area. Get a compression tester and a bottle of soapy water along for the ride. If the motor checks out fine, it could be simple things. Jets clogged, needing a new spark plug, or something small.

Go for a test ride. What you describe could be a few different things. Find out how it runs in low RPM, and also in powerband.

$1k sounds like a good deal in your area. Get a compression tester and a bottle of soapy water along for the ride. If the motor checks out fine, it could be simple things. Jets clogged, needing a new spark plug, or something small.

Problem is, the atv is an hour away. Id have to have a friend or my brother take me in their truck since it wont fit in the trunk of my wrx lol.

Id feel like a dink if i made them take the ride with me and i dont end up gettin it and waste their time ona 2hour ride +testing time.

As far as i know it runs great all around, just cuts out and dies when hammer the throttle. Seems like as long as you ease into it everythings fine. Its just when you hammer it.

Seems like as long as you ease into it everythings fine. Its just when you hammer it.

Something's wrong with the bike. Go there with cash in hand, compression test it, bring soapy water and test ride it. If it failed either comp/leak test either walk, or have him drop the price more. If he dropped it $400 just because the carb might need to be cleaned could mean he's hiding something.

The second paragraph on my first post was the whole sale ad/all you'd see on the link, minus the one picture that was in the ad. It looks immaculate.

fine post the pic then:)
and ask when that pic was taken? recently or 4 years ago:)
if it sat for 3months not started the whole time and carb was not drained and cleaned before storage then fine.
if it sat there with gas in carb for 3months/not started good chance it is clogged up butttt,perhaps not always

Last edited:
Selling 2 Hours after a rebuild and dropping the price like that seems suspicious to me (why bother rebuilding?), like maybe he took some shortcuts that are coming back to haunt him...

However it's very possible it's just the carb, as I've had a similar thing happen to me when I take the Blaster inland and forget to adjust the air-fuel-mix: The engine can keep up as long as you ease into it, but mash the throttle and the engine runs too rich and bogs down (thinner air up there). It very seldom completely STALLS though, unless I happen to be on a steep hill at the time. Clogged carb and improper air-fuel-mix seems like a reasonable excuse... But if possible I'd also pull off the exhaust and look through the port to see if there's any scouring on the cylinder or piston. Any of that, and you'll know why he dropped the price :D If not possible, take it for a ride and make sure you're happy with it.

From experience I personally wouldn't buy any quad that wasn't at least running properly, especially after the guy claims to have rebuilt it. Fool me 3 times, shame on... someone :D
If everything else is in good condition, and it seems to be running rich rather than lean, then it might be worth taking a chance though.

Yea my bet is somethings wrong with the motor. It jus seems too sketchy to me.
Two hours on the rebuild n its already acting it to the point he cant figure it out n now wants to sell it a few months after a rebuild. Seems to me like it was having the problem before the rebuild, the rebuild didnt fix it and he cant figure out what it is, he knows what it is but it cant be fixed, or doesnt want to fix it.

it cant be fixed, or doesnt want to fix it.

I'll go with the ladder. With the right diagnostics you can pin point the problem. That leads into the next question. How much do you want to spend to right the wrong?

It's entirely possible that the carb is clogged and you can steal it for $1k

So hes been trying to figure out the problem, called me today and said he figured it out. Said its because he doesnt have the airbox on it since he sold it to a friend. Would that do it?

So hes been trying to figure out the problem, called me today and said he figured it out. Said its because he doesnt have the airbox on it since he sold it to a friend. Would that do it?

Doubt it. Only way to test that theory is to have another air box installed and see how it runs. Test driving is the only way to see how it runs. Have him send you the info of the jets that are in the carb.

RED FLAG !! Does he even have any air filter on it ??
Without any air filter at all it is now running lean.
Use to your advantage, IF he receipts for all work and parts for rebuild it may be worth making an offer for it. As long as he didnt use a Niche cylinder kit !!!!! Ask about this before you make the trip.
Research how to identify a stock cylinder !!!
Niche cylinder = junk

Also ask if he has all or most receipts for parts/machine work !!

Im pretty sure he did a stock carb rebuild with stock jets.
He says he sold just the lid to his friend. if he covers the hole it rips, if he uncovers the hole where the lid goes it bogs down.

I just asked him if it was a niche cylinder and if there was any machine work done. He said the cylinder was mint so it was just ball honed.

Do your research. Set a budget. And if you feel comfortable in your mechanic ability then go test ride it. You'll know if something's wrong within the first few minutes of riding it and just the way it sounds.

Reactions: MR_Effing_Rose