2 spacers per wheel, dodgy?

BlasterIan

Sep 29, 2011
Cape Town, South Africa
Just a question, Im not looking for sarcastic answers and say rather buy longer A-Arms etc.

Im just asking opinions on 2 spacers per wheel in the front.

Will it mess up the bearings, and just be 2 weak, or do you think itll be worth trying?

I am going to a shop tomorrow to go look at there stock on aftermarket A-Arms and new front shocks anyway. The problem is in South Africa theres not much aftermatket parts for Blasters and Import costs are just to much.

Where you guys would pay about $1400 for a front end conversion, here the equivalent would be $2600.

I would shy away from doubling up on the spacers. Another option is to run a set of spacers and flip the wheels, the spacers will allow the valve to clear the brake setup.

Any increase on width using spacers/flipping is going to put extra strain on the bearings and spindles.
It depends on what and where you ride, if it is rough territory and and you tackle big jumps, consider wider arms.

Here in Australia we suffer the same problems with that $$$$ problem, and parts are not readily available, freight costs are killing.

I run front spacers and flipped fronts for flat track, but the wheels are put back stock for MX, as I don't need the extra adrenalin worrying about a front end failure!

Thanks man, I was expecting a lot more suggestions from different members to my query, but hey, at least you gave me a good suggestion, I think Im just going to have to save a little and look into getting upgraded A-arms and suspension.

Thanks again dude!

ITS GONNA BE DAMB EXPENSIVE!!!!!

There is a cheaper option which I use and that is a Diamond widening kit. They work well and seem to handle the punishment of MX ok.

Steering on landing big jumps is affected some as geometry's are a little off and causes bump steer (tendency to dive off to one side on landing). It really is not as bad as some would say it is!

What I like about the wide kit is that I am able to choose from 4 1/2 or 6in wider in 20 mins of spanner work, very handy for different tracks that son and I ride.

Widening kits are also a bit expensive here, a local manufacturer SSS racing make them for R2000.00 a set or $250. Lonestar a-arms from EMD racing goes for R8000 or $1000. Blaster parts aren't cheap over here!!!!

yea I don't know what you are using for conversion rates but as of today (ZAR) South African Rand to USD is not bad, you quoted 8000 for a pair of LSR A-Arms, you could buy a pair of ASR's and it would cost you 3300 ZAR plus 700 shipping which still puts you at half of 8000, the only issue is the one month wait it typically takes in customs. But personally I wouldn't rule out ordering stateside, one benefit is you can watch currency rates and buy when the dollar is low like recently actually saving you.

Doubleing up on spacers is not beneficial only thing it will do is cause damage.

yea I don't know what you are using for conversion rates but as of today (ZAR) South African Rand to USD is not bad, you quoted 8000 for a pair of LSR A-Arms, you could buy a pair of ASR's and it would cost you 3300 ZAR plus 700 shipping which still puts you at half of 8000, the only issue is the one month wait it typically takes in customs. But personally I wouldn't rule out ordering stateside, one benefit is you can watch currency rates and buy when the dollar is low like recently actually saving you.

We get taxed on it here, Customs tax, duty tax and government tax!

Customs and duty (Import) are normally like 40% then still our tax!

We get taxed on it here, Customs tax, duty tax and government tax!

Customs and duty (Import) are normally like 40% then still our tax!

Word...didn't think about that. That sucks ... I still wouldn't run two spacers though ... that's alot of stress on a stock setup