1st and 3rd... sometimes

resurrected89

May 4, 2012
middle of new york
im having an issue where i have 1st gear and 3rd gear as i ride first gear will out of blue not work unless i hold shifter down. 3rd gear works too but not always it has popped out on me and yesterday it disapeared no 3rd. i wana make sure its not somthing simple before i go tare whole engine back apart. all rest of gears work fine and sometimes 1st and 3rd work fine.

im having an issue where i have 1st gear and 3rd gear as i ride first gear will out of blue not work unless i hold shifter down. 3rd gear works too but not always it has popped out on me and yesterday it disapeared no 3rd. i wana make sure its not somthing simple before i go tare whole engine back apart. all rest of gears work fine and sometimes 1st and 3rd work fine.

what year is your blaster? have you replaced the clutch lately? you stated you didnt want to tear it apart Again??? was there an issue like this Before you took it apart???

its an 89 i just did a bunch of work to it. it sat for 5 years i had to replace all bearings,crank,rod,rings,gaskets,both shift rods with ball bearing,clutch,inner basket, outter basket, and stiffer clutch springs. it doesnt seem to be a clutch issue because it only has a problem in two gears. i checked over everything before i put it together the gears and all in trans were fine. shift drum looked good as well and shift forks were strait.

its an 89 i just did a bunch of work to it. it sat for 5 years i had to replace all bearings,crank,rod,rings,gaskets,both shift rods with ball bearing,clutch,inner basket, outter basket, and stiffer clutch springs. it doesnt seem to be a clutch issue because it only has a problem in two gears. i checked over everything before i put it together the gears and all in trans were fine. shift drum looked good as well and shift forks were strait.

the reason i asked about the year is in 03-04 they changed the shift star from screwed on to perminatly attached.what about the shift star an mechanism? when i modded mne i didnt tighten the star screw enough and it loosened causing wicked shifting issues. could be something at the shift lever as well. worth a quick peek.

that could be i will have to check. could the wheel that rides on the shift star cause this issue? i have a whole spare motor now i may just replace the wheel and spring. any easier way to do it. i had a hell of a time with the spring last time.

that could be i will have to check. could the wheel that rides on the shift star cause this issue? i have a whole spare motor now i may just replace the wheel and spring. any easier way to do it. i had a hell of a time with the spring last time.

that spring sucks AZZ! youll have to look and make sure it moves as it should once you get the cover off. theres a diagram of the assm. in the manual. make sure everything is where it should be and looks correct.

how its suppose to look...
011-2.jpg

008-7.jpg

019-3.jpg

photos compliments of stacy aka 79bronco. used WITHOUT permission...breakin the law, breakin the law...:)

Last edited:
should i loc tite the bolt that holds the shift star on and the spring bolt?

yes, i used blue (removable) loctite.:D
also, if you havent already, maybe consider modding your shift star? i mean After you get your shifting issue fixed. its a cool little mod and youll love the difference in shifting. some say neutral is harder to find but i havent had a single problem with it.

i took it apart everything looks like in pics. i made sure it was all torqued tight. in garage before put it back together no probs ran through gears fine. took it out and all gears worked until the bike got hot. more i rode worse it got until now no gears work and i have to hold shifter down in first to get it to move. im going to let it cool down a while and see if i get gears back when its cool. any ideas clutch maybe? it does not seem like a bad gear its seems be random. not always same gears doing it.

i took it apart everything looks like in pics. i made sure it was all torqued tight. in garage before put it back together no probs ran through gears fine. took it out and all gears worked until the bike got hot. more i rode worse it got until now no gears work and i have to hold shifter down in first to get it to move. im going to let it cool down a while and see if i get gears back when its cool. any ideas clutch maybe? it does not seem like a bad gear its seems be random. not always same gears doing it.

What r you using for transmission oil?

Im using valvoline 4t. I ended up switching the transmission over complete from parts motor and all is fine now. Im not sure what is wrong with gears I swapped out. They seem to be fine. I changed the shift drum and shift levers it didn't change anything. So I swapped both gear sets and it works fine. One of gear sets is binding or somthing not sure but got it going now.

Im using valvoline 4t. I ended up switching the transmission over complete from parts motor and all is fine now. Im not sure what is wrong with gears I swapped out. They seem to be fine. I changed the shift drum and shift levers it didn't change anything. So I swapped both gear sets and it works fine. One of gear sets is binding or somthing not sure but got it going now.

Inspect the gears real well and look where the gears slide to lock into place there should be little teeth there and if theres not it can cause the gears not to properly seat into place.

You did what i would have did though and just swapped the trans for another.I:I

how its suppose to look...
011-2.jpg

008-7.jpg

019-3.jpg

photos compliments of stacy aka 79bronco. used WITHOUT permission...breakin the law, breakin the law...:)

Hi, i have same type of symptoms on my blaster. i took the cover off tonight to inspect the star, as shown in the photos above. My roller or star is out of position. the Star seems pushed outboard of vehicle, and roller is not rolling on the star.
Please tell me i maybe lucky and the screw holding the star may have backed out, and needs to be tight w/ lock tight as mentioned in previous post.

Well took clutch off and YES,, Star had the screw very loose,, roller was off of star boss due to star being outboard of vehicle. Tightend it, put together,, and same thing,, tough time getting it into different gears...

Issue: i have a left over part after assembly of sidecover,,, i know, i know....

Please see pic and let me know if you know of this stamped washer, and where it goes..

Todd

Attachments

• IMAG0082.jpg
    IMAG0082.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 116
Well took clutch off and YES,, Star had the screw very loose,, roller was off of star boss due to star being outboard of vehicle. Tightend it, put together,, and same thing,, tough time getting it into different gears...

Issue: i have a left over part after assembly of sidecover,,, i know, i know....

Please see pic and let me know if you know of this stamped washer, and where it goes..

Todd

By the looks of it that goes behind the screw that backed out on the shift star. That needs to go back on there. May be your problem.