1999 blaster won't start

jborn4

May 20, 2016
Hey everyone,

Bought a 1999 blaster back in winter with a fresh top end and the guy said it didn't start and maybe needed a timing advancement or something else. It's now spring and I've just put back together the flywheel as the stator screws are stripped to prevent timing advancement. Getting gas and TORS is removed. Any reason for it not to start other than the timing? Thanks so much

Reactions: Larry's Shee
Hey everyone,

Bought a 1999 blaster back in winter with a fresh top end and the guy said it didn't start and maybe needed a timing advancement or something else. It's now spring and I've just put back together the flywheel as the stator screws are stripped to prevent timing advancement. Getting gas and TORS is removed. Any reason for it not to start other than the timing? Thanks so much
Are you getting spark? That would be the first to look for. Then need to pull flywheel and check flywheel key.

Reactions: jborn4
Have you replaced the gas with clean new gas and cleaned out the carb. Also do what josh519 is saying. Check all plugs are connected.

Are you getting spark? That would be the first to look for. Then need to pull flywheel and check flywheel key.
I'm going to check the spark now, but had flywheel pulled and the woodruff key seemed to be in good shape although flywheel was a bit scratched

Have you replaced the gas with clean new gas and cleaned out the carb. Also do what josh519 is saying. Check all plugs are connected.
I replaced gas and just cleaned the carb as well so maybe it needs to be tuned or jetted? Not sure seems like the options are down to gas or electrical here from what you both have told me

Ok so just checked and it is getting spark. If this is a timing/stator issue, would it be easier to just buy a new stator for around $40 instead of messing around with timing advancement and such?

If you are getting spark, then I would say the stator is in ok shape due to the stator provides the power for the spark lol. If you say the woodruff key is in good shape then its on time.

If you are getting spark, then I would say the stator is in ok shape due to the stator provides the power for the spark lol. If you say the woodruff key is in good shape then its on time.
Ok that definitely makes sense. I checked the reeds and they seem fine to me, I have pictures if needed. Actually this could be an issue but I didn't know if it was. I don't have a flange kit for the pipe (FMF Fatty) so the pipe is ON the head but not really sealed and the exhaust is slipped on the back of the pipe but not sealed either. Could this be an issue maybe causing low compression and a no-start? Thanks so much for your help by the way I really appreciate it

Wait and get that flange on it! Do a compression check, may have a broke ring. Check compression and maybe even pull the head check out piston,, does it backfire any?

Wait and get that flange on it! Do a compression check, may have a broke ring. Check compression and maybe even pull the head check out piston,, does it backfire any?
No doesn't seem to backfire at all. The previous owner said he had just rebuilt the top end so it's practically brand new, but I'll check it anyway. Hopefully I can get the flange kit soon and get this thing running lol

Don't pull the head unless you run out of options.
So previous owner never had it running?? Not a good sign , :(
I would recommend a leakdown test before you even try to Start it. Have to cover all the bases.

When you cleaned the carb, did you take it completely apart? Blow air through all holes? Set float height? Could you see through all jets including sides of main jet/emulsion tube? Choke circut?

Were you using choke to start? New plug?

When you cleaned the carb, did you take it completely apart? Blow air through all holes? Set float height? Could you see through all jets including sides of main jet/emulsion tube? Choke circut?

Were you using choke to start? New plug?
The previous owner said it was running at one point before the rebuild and not after. Said it fired once but that was it. When I cleaned the carb I blew all the holes with compressed air and cleaned the jets with a tool. I didn't adjust the float, but it didn't seem warped or cracked in any way so I just left it as-is. I tried starting it with choke and then without even with and without gas really didn't make a difference. Plug is new as well which is concerning me.

I just installed the flange and have the pipe and exhaust securely on the bike and it's still not turning over. Maybe it could be a carb mixture issue? At this point I really don't know what it could be

Cracks, chips, frays, and must sit tight. Actually seen a "spec" only allowed a few thousand gap, so if you can see light, it's probably time to replace .
What about spark and fuel??

Cracks, chips, frays, and must sit tight. Actually seen a "spec" only allowed a few thousand gap, so if you can see light, it's probably time to replace .
What about spark and fuel??
Here are the reeds. It's my first two stroke so I don't have any idea how to really check them. As for the spark, I used a spark checker and it's getting spark, so plug is good and the fuel is newly mixed and tank is on reserve with gas getting into the carb properly

Attachments

• tmp_7071-20160520_2102591815110257.jpg
    tmp_7071-20160520_2102591815110257.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 197
  • tmp_7071-20160520_210313-1913216747.jpg
    tmp_7071-20160520_210313-1913216747.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 172
Haven't found the spec I mentioned, but looking in the direction that you took these pictures, you should see no light between the tips (end) of the reeds and reed cage (metal/rubber part)

Looking from other side ANY damage or wear to reed petals. Cracks, chips/chunks missing, or frays (looks like worn out blue jeans)
The reeds keep the fuel/air mixture from being pushed back into carb instead of up into cylinder.
Have you done a compression test? Low compression causes hard starting.

Though most frown on it, and I'll probably get flamed, but have you tried pull starting it?

Haven't found the spec I mentioned, but looking in the direction that you took these pictures, you should see no light between the tips (end) of the reeds and reed cage (metal/rubber part)

Looking from other side ANY damage or wear to reed petals. Cracks, chips/chunks missing, or frays (looks like worn out blue jeans)
The reeds keep the fuel/air mixture from being pushed back into carb instead of up into cylinder.
Have you done a compression test? Low compression causes hard starting.

Though most frown on it, and I'll probably get flamed, but have you tried pull starting it?
Have not done a compression test, I need a kit for that so I'm gonna try and get one at PepBoys this week. As for the pull-start as dumb as this may sound, how would I go about doing that?

Reactions: Larry's Shee