1993 headlight problems help!!!

Arties93blaster

Feb 8, 2014
So I just bought the quad 2 weeks ago an headlight blew out I buy new bulbs an it blew out withing ten minutes any ideas...the three wires that connect to the bulb holder have power besides the ground but I noticed only low beam worked not high looks like some plugs are free and there's no idiot oil light just a red light on top of the light. Could it be voltage regulator an if so where could I get the right one new

Sounds like the voltage regulator went bad. They can be found pretty much anywhere, check ebay out. should be able to get one pretty cheap with free shipping.

Thats what I was thinking as well...what exactly do I look up to find this regulator? And is there any website or url for directions I know thats asking alot

If the light is not working, but the lamp is still ok, it's most likely wiring issue or stator winding (yes, they do just fail for no aparant reason... you could rewind it yourself, or just buy a new one)
If the lamp keeps blowing, its most likely a faulty regulator, or loose wire going to regulator.

If you use a multimeter set on AC volts, between the lighting wire and ground and rev the engine the voltage should not exceed 14 volts.

If it does the regulator is dead.

Yes you put both wires in, touch the wire that goes to one side of the bulb with one probe, one is green [high] the other yellow [low].

Put the other probe on the ground wire that goes to the bulb [black].

Switch the headlight on and kick the engine into life, if no reading put the dip switch to the other setting high/low.

If it only works on one setting you have a bad switch.

As we are dealing with AC power it does not matter which of the probes is on what wire.

On revving the engine and the voltage soars above 14 volts the regulator is either dead, disconnected or has a filthy connection either in the wiring harness or where it grounds the frame.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arties93blaster
Yes you put both wires in, touch the wire that goes to one side of the bulb with one probe, one is green [high] the other yellow [low].

Put the other probe on the ground wire that goes to the bulb [black].

Switch the headlight on and kick the engine into life, if no reading put the dip switch to the other setting high/low.

If it only works on one setting you have a bad switch.

As we are dealing with AC power it does not matter which of the probes is on what wire.

On revving the engine and the voltage soars above 14 volts the regulator is either dead, disconnected or has a filthy connection either in the wiring harness or where it grounds the frame.
Iis there a resistor I should check as well?