{100%)water proof see thru stator covor with vent

2smokin

Mar 26, 2014
newell west virginia
this is my first diy well first write up any way an easy simple stupid thing i did while bored and is temporary cover has been painted soooo many times a new one would be better when i have money for looks that is gotta get her runnin first

ok so i got bored and decided i didnt like the fact my covor was missing a rubber plug .... actually 2 of them a little one behind the front sprocket any way i decided to waterproof it as well { 100%] leak test approved lol but seriously i did it and sorry for all the damn silicon rtv stuff it looks worse than it is when the case is on you cant see any really so its ok and works well very well.

this is a before .. well kinda notice the hole and the screen is not there over the sprocket end

IMG_20140328_154856_zpsebd6d165.jpg

i used super glue and yes i know a penny and a strip of aluminum foil heavy duty and it was to just be able to keep pressure without gluing my finger on then i got it tacked down with super glue around the edges then let it dry added some black rtv also around the edges kinda thick and let it dry { no pressure needed the super glue had it secure enough.

IMG_20140410_211813_zps6828c047.jpg

complete screen thing

IMG_20140410_211818_zps155ea406.jpg

i dont have pictures of this but i cut the circle for the glass lens with a stencil of a circle object slightly smaller than the lense to ave an edge to bite on with

{ please dont do this it was not as good an idea i thought but i was persistant to make it work lol}
a pen soldering gun or well rod thing filed the tip down to a square shark fin like a knife edge and plugged it in and followed my outline .. badd bad process any way

and i put a thin coat of gasket maker around the seal being sure to wipe off the edges that will be seen

and with a toothpick and my finger i sealed the outside{inside of cover} of the lens to ensure watertightness.

IMG_20140410_211742_zpsbdbe4265.jpg

and i knew this would be a problem for the window to seem edgeless in appearance { or hiding the sealer and ugly cut job i found a template just a bit smaller than the actual hole itself not the glass lens

i actually made my edge{ with spray paint}{i know im cheap and wanted to see if i could do it} than using cutips and acetone cleaned up the visible smear of silicone you could see after applying it with a toothpick and wiing with my finger and cutips to get in all the cracks and edges where the glass and plastic meet.

IMG_20140410_211758_zpse3a053de.jpg

IMG_20140410_215005_zps81b8310a.jpg

its dirty cause of my hands but its hard to take a picture of this lens lol

im just holding it up but its not very large window but whatever
yes this is a magnifying glass type lens but came out of a toshiba blasma tv i have oddly shaped ones too that do weird things they dont just magnify but this lens will not {burn ants and does not concentrate light} i will not welt my flywheel

IMG_20140410_214855_zps4bb4405c.jpg

next problem was to fix my missing u shaped seal by the shift cam so you know the neck of the oem carby boot i cut the extension off used a razor knife shaped it used a file to file a groove more towards one side so the edge of the case will sit in that depression (not sticking out like a rubber block as much cuse the offset groove) and look kinda like the one for the stator wires
i screwed a wood screw in the center for my breathing tube {idk why a flywheelwould need to breathe but a spinning object gives off wind so im gonna put in atleast one vent/breather}

yes i know i think i have it upside down more sticking out than in

IMG_20140410_211849_zps5d3cbb1c.jpg

i hade vac hose fittings so after i put the hole in i inserted i think 1/8th to 1/4 plastic vac hose coupler small end in the rubber no silicone needed that rubber is very tight.. thin layer of rtv to aid in sealing and stuck it in
and a thin coat of rtv to the case which i knew would peel off but whatever <---{again} just temporary

and this one a flat top phillips screw a really fat oring a 2-4 mm piece of gas line tubing put that on the screw put the oring on smear some more rtv { man i love this stuff lol} found a flat piece of hard rubber used that as a bolt and voila i now have a plugged hole with nothing sticking out of the case ... well an oddly placed screw but eh whatever
/
\
/
\
/
\
/
\
\/
\/
\
\
\
\/ { purple for your viewing pleasure of the small windowed flywheel cover that cost less than 1$
IMG_20140410_211834_zps8c14c284.jpg

and here i filled up the sleeve that was left on that rubber grommet wrap in tape let cure peel tape off and you have sealed you wires also i added some rtv on the inside as well this is where i think it wont hold when i run the wires back to where my harness comes out at maybe a spring or a rubber sleeve to stop it from bending

IMG_20140410_211912_zps1953b472.jpg

there you have it

IMG_20140409_140124_zps3c5f8b9b.jpg

final product

Reactions: blasterdemon7
i just ran the crankcase vent to my flywheel vent and will further run them somewhere up in the handle bars or something { i will be getting matching blue seethru tubing .. so i can see if it gets clogged :}
IMG_20140410_211858_zpsa0eeb240.jpg

Reactions: rich1
i just ran the crankcase vent to my flywheel vent and will further run them somewhere up in the handle bars or something { i will be getting matching blue seethru tubing .. so i can see if it gets clogged :}
IMG_20140410_211858_zpsa0eeb240.jpg
I like the idea, looks different too !

I dont think there should be a vent on the flywheel side... Mine is just a rubber grommet.

If any oil came out of the tanny, and into the flywheel area, i dont think the end result would be nice...

I dont think there should be a vent on the flywheel side... Mine is just a rubber grommet.

If any oil came out of the tanny, and into the flywheel area, i dont think the end result would be nice...

i dont mean oil or a fluid im just saying for air pressure {mekes me feel better lol} from a fast spinning object i would rather it suck free air than mud/water thru a leak in the cover ... just being safe {no harm no foul}

Yeah if you happen to run it hot, or have lets say have a hiccup or over fill your trans/clutch a tad bit, that tube will get oil into it and might go back into the stator/flywheel side.. I like the idea of the see through cover section though.. I have also been thinking of a way to make a nice see through flywheel cover like the banshees have..

What were saying is every now and again the vent tube from the tranny side sometimes spits oil out through the vent tube. Being as it is sharing the vent tube line with the flywheel you risk the chance of oil going back down into the flywheel..

Reactions: 2smokin
Yeah if you happen to run it hot, or have lets say have a hiccup or over fill your trans/clutch a tad bit, that tube will get oil into it and might go back into the stator/flywheel side..

never thought of that ... hmm thank you .. i wonder if that could result in a problem? well if too much fluid goes in the stator

im not knocking your idea A FOR EFFORT but yeah it is just a gromet there no hose :) also not 100% waterproof with hose View attachment 9504

ok what i meant was if i rode in a puddle deep enough to cover oh lets say the tires the motor all the way to the base the stator would not leak water or get wet under normal circumstances the cover ..it would be waterresistant i should have said .. i see what your saying tho

You may experience condensation problems if the cover is 100% waterproof.

We waterproofed our mud runner vehicles, and always had to put in a breather to allow the water vapours to have access to the atmosphere.

Ok, here goes, my opinion:
Nice mod, but I would run a seperate breather pipe for the stator. And yes, breather is a good idea... what happens with all the condensation in there after its sealed? Also the pressure increase and decreases with temp, so might leak and pull in moisture when sitting in winter months ( extreme I know, but just felt like saying so)

In the end, either sealed, or a separate pipe IMHO

thank you guys and i think ill be splitting the breather hoses like a few of you have recommended { again i know its not pretty and perfect but im in no position to be FORM anD FUNCTION i really just need function lol}

thank you guys and i think ill be splitting the breather hoses like a few of you have recommended { again i know its not pretty and perfect but im in no position to be FORM anD FUNCTION i really just need function lol}
You could put one of those one way short breather hoses that people use for the gas caps, vents out but not in. That's what I plan to do since I find condensation inside mine too.

Reactions: dirtysquared
You could put one of those one way short breather hoses that people use for the gas caps, vents out but not in. That's what I plan to do since I find condensation inside mine too.

That sounds like a good idea..

Huh never thought of that but I'm not sure what part you referencing
Could I get a link or picture is it a little aluminum/plastic fitting I see in eBay pictures?