$100.00 98 BLASket case rebuild

AcidRayn

Sep 13, 2010
jackson, nj
dsc0515r.jpg

okay, it was suggested i do a total thread on this quad.

first, some history. im 44 and far from a newbie to bikes, quads or anything with an engine.

i've previously owned a 87 banshee that ran nitrous at one point as well as alky.
2 different warriors, 2 other blasters, a quad sport 230, cr250, 500 and multiple harleys,

our stable currently consists of

06 f150 screw cab 4x4
08 edge limited
1958 harley duo glide pan
08 ultra glide
08 softail deluxe
01 raptor 660
93 lt80
john deere lt133 lol

and now this 98 blaster basket case. found it on craigs list for 200 or b/o, got it for $100

brought it home, figured the blackwater rears and hole shot fronts on alum rims were worth the $100.00

dsc0510m.jpg

the top end was already off, revealing a totally smoked lower rod bearing

told brian if he wants it, he's gotta wrench it with me and bleed on it to make it his, here he is gettin the vin

dsc0526o.jpg

Last edited:
one thing we found was the stator area to be totally scuzzed up with rusty greasy crap. i guess water and leaking crank seal

dsc0530x.jpg

once i got the cases apart, i found this neat christmas gift waiting for us :(

dsc0543f.jpg

another interesting thing i found, was one of the clutch fibers is smaller then the rest. i dont have a manual yet, and cant remember if this is normal. anyone know? the fibers are in nice shape and im not going to replace, the metals are shot, they will get new. take a look at the pic. is this normal and where would it go in the pecking order of plates.

dsc0538l.jpg

so, i gotta find a set of cases, a clutch basket, crank, bearings, seals and a shift shaft (being replaced just cuz im in there, and its got some wear on it.

when were done, this will be done right, all new seals and bearings. were gonna keep it stock for now except for a pipe and jets.

brian has been on a lt80 for 4 years now and this is a nice upgrade that he can run for awhile. we can mod it later, just wanna get it rollling for now.

any advice or suggestions will be gladly accepted. guess im gonna start ebaying for a set of cases.

later for now.

Rayn

k, question.

i always remember being told, never get half a case, (engine, not beer)
always replace cases in a set.
yet, im looking on ebay for cases, and theres alot being sold in lefts and rights.
we really only need one side, but does that rule apply to side splitting cases?

i rebuilt plenty of banshees, and with those lovely yamaha cranks, ya gotta have
spare cases laying around. is it the same with the blaster cases?

before i drop any coin i'd like to be sure.

thanks

we have matched lotsa odd cases man, sometimes they fit nice and others they need some minor sanding to mate them up, sounds like u got exp in the shee bottoms , so this will be pretty simple for ya....and that smaller clutch disc is normal, its the one that has the wave spring inside of it, so it has to be smaller

ok, cool.
yea, lots of exp with the banshee. bought one as soon as they hit the showroom floor in 87$2100.00 out the door!

many a rebuilds later, i sold it in 05. now runnin a raptor 660.

i rebuilt my daughters 90 blaster sometime in the late 90's. just been awhile and
i dont have a book yet, been looking for a digital version online, havent found one yet.

thanks for the help on the cases. it will make life easier.

somewere on this site there is a digital version of a service manual i believe, man 2100 for a new shee in 87, i paid 3200 for a new blaster in 05, what has the world come too, one question, why did you go to a four stroke after all those years with the banshee, just curious

somewere on this site there is a digital version of a service manual i believe, man 2100 for a new shee in 87, i paid 3200 for a new blaster in 05, what has the world come too, one question, why did you go to a four stroke after all those years with the banshee, just curious

Kinda grew outa it. I had done all I could do with the banshee

beat everyone aronund here, 10 sec 1/4 mile, climbed pikes peak

ran glamis, dumomt, little sahara, Alaska Greenland.

All my friends grew up. We used to do huge campouts, 80-150

people, live bands and strippers in the woods all weekend! It was

great. Everyone got married and moved. My daughter who was

My riding buddy went to college. The quads sat and sat so I

sold them. Now I got re married and have a 8 and 11 yr old.

Brian (11) I got him the lt 80 and he loves it. I just got the raptor

I did a barter off craigslist for it. Did a top end on a guys Harley,

250 in parts and he gave me a 01-660 raptor, so I got re- hooked

on it. Now I got the blaster for Brian and gave the 80 to Kevin

I got him the blaster basket cuz I want him to learn to fix them

and he will appreciate it more when he's done. I like the luxury

of electric start and reverse as I've gotten older. I'd like another

Banshee, but I got to get up for work the next day and I surely

don't healas fast as I used to

so in conclusion, I got the raptor cuz it didn't cost me much

and all I needed was a battery for it

like freek said, the one clutch disk should have a bigger inside diameter. that one goes on first (closest to your clutch boss) and the the wave ring goes next. i just replaced my clutch, so i know all about it. i didnt read instructions in my manual and the larger one i put on last. the clutch didnt work so well. so i pulled it all apart and read my manual. problem solved.

thanks guys.

i just bought a set of cases off ebay for 110.00 for both sides.
same guy has a complete clutch, the basket, pressure plate and plates. just won that, hoping he will cut the shipping off and put in the same box as the cases.

gonna head on over to vito's now and order the crank up.

i honed the cyl today, looks good, its at 60 over now, so im just gonna use the piston it came with, its in great shape, will order a new set of rings though.

my kid is gettin stoked. he pulled all the plastic today after school, (without me telling him too) and started scrubbing down the frame :) and cleaned the wheels and tires.

heres a question, the plastic has some kind of funk on it, it might be varnish as guy i got it from was into boats. i have not looked at it close yet, but anyone know of any products for buffing out the plastic? like they have for the plastic head light lenses on cars now when they get fogged over?

i'll post up more pics as we go along

like freek said, the one clutch disk should have a bigger inside diameter. that one goes on first (closest to your clutch boss) and the the wave ring goes next. i just replaced my clutch, so i know all about it. i didnt read instructions in my manual and the larger one i put on last. the clutch didnt work so well. so i pulled it all apart and read my manual. problem solved.

I have seen a lot of people say it is the first clutch plate but my manual says it is second in the rotation. that is where i ran it with no issues. nice find on that blaster and raptor!

okay, heres an update on this basket-a-thon rebuild

so the crank was wiped, and it wiped the cases, and pretty much every bearing in the thing is wiped and the clutch baket has a broken tang.

so i go shopping,
everything is with shipping included

vitos blaster crank stock, 110.00
rings 26, vitos
clutch basket, used, ebay 35.00
set of cases 117.00 ebay
head light, 17.00 ebay
set of stainless polished allen head engine bolts, (i hate those lame arse phillips screws) 23.99
a fresh 40 over top end, jug, head wiseco piston, rings, bearing 182.50 ebay
set of dg nerfs, used, slightly, 117.00 ebay
cost of the quad originally, 100.00

total so far, (AND I USE THE TERM SO FAR LOOSELY)

now the dilema, i ran across this one on craigslist, turns out a friend
of mines brother posted it, he wanted 500.00 for it,
offered 400.00 on saturday, he said he wanted to see what offers he got,
called me tonight, told me come get it for 200.00!!!!!
rather see me have it for my kids then give it to me for that, then to someone else for 100.00 to chop it and sell on ebay!!

photogf.jpg

This one needs a top end (hmmm, im starting to see a pattern here)
i'll have it tomorow night.

the wifes freak out has begun!

so, the disease has hit our household HARD!

hotrods. ebay has tons of them.

thanx scot

lol hes down with the sickness

o yea. when i had the banshee, i had 3 seperate rolling chassis, and filled a bed of a full size ford pick up with spare parts when i took it all to the swap meet!

theres alot of them for cheap by me, so i may keep picking them up, taking any after market parts for our quads, and then sellin off the rest. we'll see what happens.

i got to get one rolling before the wife has another schitt fit

My manual also says it is the second fiber disc in the setup. There should be a fiber, then a steel, then the wave washer, and then the larger i.d. fiber. Then steel and so on.

ok, heres some updates.

went riding this am for a couple hours, ran in to some old friends i havent seen in like 15 yrs, in the woods no less! one is friend who has a gsxr 1150 engine on modded lt500 frame. he went by us and i knew this was no normal ride.
ran into them later and bamm, i know the nut job.

anyhow, got back, and into the garage.

the decision has been made, by brian, to use the 2002 frame cuz its powdercoated orange, and the white/red plastic from the 98.

so him and his friends stripped the plastic off the 2 chassis, while i started some work on which engine was going to be used.

dsc0563b.jpg

after some engine brite and light power washing, it cleaned up nicely.
think this guy was a mets fan?

dsc0565o.jpg

does that carb cap seal belong in there?

dsc0566t.jpg

cases cleaned up nice, found the set on ebay for cheap, transmission bearings installed, ready for some gears

anybody recognize this pipe? kid said it was custom built from somewhere in virgina. any ideas? i'll post another pic of it cleaned up at a later date

dsc0568jb.jpg

as soon as he's done cleaning it

dsc0571o.jpg

ahhh, the big brown truck made many stops at our house this week,
this was my favorite, was the only thing new so far, lol

dsc0572b.jpg

thats it for now, got to pick up the crank bearings on tuesday and then the motor will be assembled

it belongs in there but not in the spring it goes up at the top of the spring right there where it looks like it fits. I think the dude was a gator fan!

it belongs in there but not in the spring it goes up at the top of the spring right there where it looks like it fits. I think the dude was a gator fan!

lol, yea, i know, my sarcasm doesnt go over well when typed.

this engine had both rings broken and ejected thru the pipe. took 2 hours to get the one out that was still in there.

found many issues when breaking down the 2002 engine, so im going with a totaly fresh top and bottom end, .40 over, having the head milled all new trans bearings. all new seals and the set of cases i got off ebay.

also forgot that i found this goodie while dismembering the 2002

dsc0574r.jpg