03 blaster blew up can u bore the stock cylinder?

That's your piston (the cast one) after only 1- 2 hours on a fresh rebuild???
WTF?
Your definitely doing something WRONG. That ring snagged a port because there was no port chamfering left.

That's your piston (the cast one) after only 1- 2 hours on a fresh rebuild???
WTF?
Your definitely doing something WRONG. That ring snagged a port because there was no port chamfering left.
No it cracked down the middle and backfired, I can see the place where the crack is on the back, wasn't running lean, was actually running a little rich at the moment. I think the exhaust gasket was bad and caused it to backfire. The exhaust gasket was changed at the rebuild so Idk why it would have been bad though

That is not a piston failure you showed a picture of. It was a ring snag.
I use Namura pistons in my KTMs and have had no problem with them, for years.

If most of the world is getting YEARS out of a cast piston and you only got hours, the problem is not the piston.
You cannot begin to improve the quality of your rebuilds until you start being honest with yourself.

Steve

12743677_10153819640625803_5911118404195806988_n.jpg

A namura is cast, I never like to run cast. They break apart when they're bad unlike forged but warm up easier than forged, and namura also usually blow up within a few hours on blasters. Just search on YouTube Yamaha blaster namura

The photo of your "ring snag" piston shows it in one piece. It didn't break apart.
Do you have a photo, or photos of the cylinder? I'm curious about something.

The photo of your "ring snag" piston shows it in one piece. It didn't break apart.
Do you have a photo, or photos of the cylinder? I'm curious about something.
If you were trying to see if there was something for the ring to snag on the answer is no, the ports were correctly chamfered, on the underside of the piston I can see that there was a crack, probably caused by the backfire before it stopped running, the rubber exhaust tube that connects the two was split so I replaced that about an hour before it blew, I think that's what caused it to be like that

If you were trying to see if there was something for the ring to snag on the answer is no, the ports were correctly chamfered, on the underside of the piston I can see that there was a crack, probably caused by the backfire before it stopped running, the rubber exhaust tube that connects the two was split so I replaced that about an hour before it blew, I think that's what caused it to be like that

That ring snagged SOMETHING Like a.....................................Transfer port.
Plain and simple.
Do you have any photos of your cylinder?

Are you going to go through the bottom end too?
No, I would but I didn't see the need to. I'm selling my blaster soon and I saw that the crank was tight and was spinning easily, I flushed out the bottom end with some premix at 32:1 and used a transfer pump to get the premix out. If I wasn't selling it I would probably split the cases and look at it better. But the case was clean when I checked it, no metal chips even before the premix bath. I got my cylinder back today and just put it together, it runs but I need to replace the exhaust stud because it's stripped, but all is good