02 warrior no spark, couple questions

02yamaturd

Apr 18, 2010
pa
as a couple of you saw, i went on a big ride yesterday....rode for 4+ hours..anyways got the bike home, parked it under the carport...hour or so later came out to start it n nothin...immediatly checked for fuel and spark...turns out no spark...pulled on the fenders off when i got home, n started checking everything obvious...all switches are good...checked the fuse, good and all connection....basically i have power all the way to the coil....if anybody could throw out a list of some other things i could check or just run down a list of things i should check b/4 makin the desicion that its the coil.....thanks in advance guys....

Well, first off, did you run through the ignition system with a multimeter and check to make sure each of the possible kill switches has continuity (with the switch unplugged from the system) and voltage on both legs (incoming to the switch and outgoing to the next thing inline) to confirm that all of the kill switches are good?

Also, this seems pretty basic but I've got to ask.... did you stick a different spark plug in there to make sure it didn't just die on you?

Also, the factory service manual has a specification in it for checking the primary and secondary coil circuits using a multimeter. I have seen ONE coil check good with a multimeter but not put out spark and I think it was internally grounding to the grounding bolt (both coils were good and working but the plastic had broken down so the spark was shorting to the frame instead of coming down the wire).

guess i gotta get a multi meter....good excuse to go to harbor frieght!!!! thatll piss off the wife...

A good mechanic should have some basic tools to work with my man. Multimeters can be had from northern tool, harbor freight, or even home depot for as little as $5.

Hell, co-worker went to City Electric Supply (a local electrical supply house) the other day and said they had a pallet of multimeters of various sizes and ranges sitting in there with cases and everything for $2.99. He bought two, one to throw in his car just in case!

ill get it figured out.....just kinda got ahead of myself tonight....lol...im to many beers deep to get back into it tonight but tomorrow i should get some sh*t done...thanks man...

You kno, now that I think about it....a couple times when.I.was.really.tucked in a turn.....I felt I very light shock in my leg from it touching the frame......what could that be?????

The left side of the motor has your stator wires. See where your front sprocket is? go forward a few inches.. Thats where you will find the wires Larry is talking about. The wires go into a plug that connects them to the main harness. Its under one of the rubber boots. They then go directly to the CDI up behind the tail light. The CDI will be the plastic looking box. NOT the metal box. The metal box with three white wires, a black, and a red is not the CDI.

Some other hints:

- If this is a 2002 the power feed to your CDI is fine. The starter relay is powered by the CDI on this bike. Older Warriors used the CDI to ground the starter relay. The CDI will not let the starter relay work unless the clutch is pulled or the bike is neutral. Since you can turn the motor over it must be powered. If i'm readin the book right, the only kill funcion for this CDI is via its 12v power. So you don't have a kill switch problem.

-Check the Orange wire from the CDI box to the coil. This is what drives the coil.

-Black wire from the coil to the frame. Grounds the coil.

-All but the three white wires that come out of the left side of the motor. White just runs your power.

warrior-wiring.png