01 Blaster Build

twosmoke

Oct 12, 2008
Upstate NY
It's been a few years since I've been on here, I picked up a 2001 blaster for $300 that I'm rebuilding and want to show my progress and get some help from all you experts. I've rebuilt two others years ago and had a ton of fun doing it and riding so I'm looking forward to this. My plan right now is to get the motor completely done so I can at least get some use out of it this fall, and do a full tear down over winter.

So far I've disassembled the motor top and bottom, full rebuild with new crank bearings which were completely locked up, piston rings (already had a brand new wiseco in it), seals and paint. I might need a new crank or a rebuild on that as well.

A question I have before I go ordering anymore parts:

Will 2002 front fenders fit a on 2001? I plan to add a 2002-newer hood and I found a good thread on doing that.

Last edited:
welcome back around !
tuned in for the build

Haven't posted an update here in a while, been real busy with work but I've got the engine rebuilt top and bottom and all put back together and installed.

So far the parts I put in the engine are:

New wiseco rings and wrist pin bearing (existing wiseco piston almost brand new)
Ken Oconnor crank rebuild
Stainless Steel engine bolt kit
Tusk engine seal kit
Gasket kit
A few new trans bearings
New paint

25jbhfs.jpg
n2et6a.jpg

I tried to test for spark today and got nothing, I read somewhere that there is a ground wire on the stator that screws on to the stator plate. Is this correct? I don't have anything grounded there just the wires coming out of each coil to the plugs on the wiring harness.

There is no ground wire that needs to be bolted to the stator plate, just the one coming out of the harness. There should be one at your coil mount.