YZ80

Duane87

Jun 15, 2012
Croswell MI
i know this isnt a quad question but im looking for some help...i bought my son a 1999 YZ80 and it ran like a raped ape!! a couple days ago while he was riding it just quit..?? i tore the carb apart and cleaned it, bought a new plug for it. i double checked and its getting fuel and spark...any ideas?????
thx for your time

most of my problems with broken reeds is it dies when u give it throttle but it will run??? could be wrong tho

When they run like raped apes they dont run long. In all serious these little 80s an 85 are running on the edge. Might be time for a set of rings or a freshin up

The statement, running like a raped ape, always worries me because it usually speaks to me as running on the wrong side of a little lean.

Describe how it quit.

What is the compression?

i took the reeds out. one is missing about an 1/8 piece out of the corner. im going to order a set to put back in and see if that fixes the issue.
when i say raped ape, i mean when you give it throttle there is no hesitation and it pulls in ever gear! i just didnt exspect this kind of performance out this size bike.
im going to invest in a compression guage also, so i cant answer what the compression is...
air cleaner is good.
if replacing the reeds doesnt work, ill check into refreshing the cylinder.
ill post when i get the new reeds in.
thx for everyones input!!!!

i checked compression...30 psi is all i could get out of it....pulled the top end off and about 1/4 of the piston is MIA...so ill be ordering some new parts.
good news is that when i get it back together itll be a fresh motor!!!
thx for everyones imput!!!

i checked compression...30 psi is all i could get out of it....pulled the top end off and about 1/4 of the piston is MIA...so ill be ordering some new parts.
good news is that when i get it back together itll be a fresh motor!!!
thx for everyones imput!!!

What are you running for fuel mix? and what type of oil?
Also,since this bike is new to you and you said it ran like a scaled ape.....I would check the jetting before you fry a new engine....my money says its pretty damn lean

4 ounces oil per gallon fuel, i think that is 32:1.AMS oil. 93 octaine fuel. the plug i pulled out of it was a light brown color.
ive got someone more knowledgeable than me putting it back together for me.hes going to check it all out before i get it back, to make sure it isnt running lean, like you said i dont want a fresh motor doing the same thing.