Yamaha blaster wiring

J4M1E333

Oct 11, 2009
North Wales
Just finished a complete re-wire of my 05 blaster so thought I would share how I did it and what goes where seen as though there's a few rewire questions on here, one being my own :p

firstly, all I have left is my headlight, the necassary switchs for this and kill switch on the left hand side.`

the rear light, brake sensors, TORS, oil level sensor, and parking brake sensor were all removed during this rewire.

The Yellow/blk wire from the cdi, leave open, (unconnected) if earthed then cuts out. This is part of the TORS system and doesn't connect to anything since the TORS system is built into the CDI assuming you want the TORS removed. `

Yellow/green from cdi. This wire should be earthed in order for the quad to run. Note, if this is left open you WILL still get a spark BUT only when you kick it, not when the piston moves, which means the quad won't run so this def needs to be earthed.`
`
Orange, this wire comes out of the CDI unit and goes to the coil, this supplys the spark so is definately needed.

black, there is a few SOLID black wires knocking about on the quad, these will almost certainly connect to the chassis at some point and the other end some sort of switch or sensor etc, discard at your will depending on requirements. the solid black coming from the engine casing should still be earthed no matter what though.`

Red/white coming from the engine casing should be connected straight to the CDI unit.

Blk/red coming from the engine casing should be connected straight to the CDI unit.

green/White coming from the engine casing should be connected straight to the CDI unit.

Yellow/red this is 12v supply which comes from the stator and supplys the neccasary circuitary. Intially it connects to the CDI. But anything that requires 12v will connect to this at some point, mine connects to the CDI then to the headlight stalk on the left hand side to supply the power to the headlight.
`
Black/White from the CDI is the kill switch system, whenever this is earthed, you will not get a spark no matter what, you can either leave this open which means you won't have anything to kill the engine or wire a "normally open switch" from the black/White to earth to enable a kill switch.`

Any more questions let us know and I'll try my hardest to help!!`

I don't wish to trash anyones quad, so follow this at your own risk, this is how mine is wired and it works perfect, just being informative, cheers.

do you know what the wires coming out of the case are for as well as the cdi wiring? which ones which? im building a custom motor and i need to know what each wire runs. i do not have a blaster manual so im not sure. if anyones got a manual with the cdi wiring diagram please let me know

what colours are the ones coming out of the case?

red/white, blk/red and green/white all connect straight to the cdi, nothing else, yellow/red is 12v supply from stator, but connects to cdi, black is ground (for reference)

thanks alot. ive just about got it all done. im gonna see if i can connect all these wires together and hopefully get it running.

i just came back in from the garage and i dont have a green/white wire on the cdi. my blasters a 94 so i dont know if the years were different.

Good info...I am going to remove every thing I dont need..I have no lights or tors..

So if i have an 03 motor in a 96 body, then the green wire coming out of the case would just be an extra wire then? Cause im trying to hook up the wiring and i had this green wire left over and did not want to start it until i know....

So if i have an 03 motor in a 96 body, then the green wire coming out of the case would just be an extra wire then? Cause im trying to hook up the wiring and i had this green wire left over and did not want to start it until i know....

You need to earth(ground) that green wire.

Just ground it anywhere? It has a connector on the end of it?

You can ground it anywhere.Most likely the best place would be the coil.You may be able to just tie it into the black wire,all solid blacks should be earthed right from the factory.If you need more wire just get another piece and a few connectors and make up a jumper,or cut and solder them together,then heatshrink them.

Theres a black wire coming out of the coil already can i just ground the green one to the other bolt on the coil?

yes you can.I would think you could use the black wire also but never tried so I don't want to mislead you.Plus you would have to break the connection somewhere in order to connect it.Mine as well just run a jumper up to the coil and ground it there under the bolt on the coil.

Ok just wanted to make sure that its ok to have to wires grounded to the coil (one on each side?)

Mine as well put them on the same side.Also while it is off sand it down a little or scratch it up,whatever works for just to be sure you have a good ground.