Wont start

88yamahablaster

Feb 19, 2015
I need a little help everyone.....
I have an 88 blaster ....
The stock rings blew....
Tore it down( bottom end was fine) honed it out little bit bigger piston... Domed the top of the head a little.... Throw it all back together.... Wont kick over... Check the reeds - bone dry...pull the carb... Rip that down cleaned everyhole and jet .... Throw it back in.... No spark at all... No red light while kicking it.... Pull the magneto and stator- replace both... Now
I have a spark( red light comes on during kicking now but not as bright as it should be.... I need to pull the plug to see if the gas is gettin thru the reeds still but if it is.... What else could it be.. Voltage reg.. Ignition coil or both or the cdi.. And if gas isnt gettin thru the reeds could the be installed wrong... There after market and have 8 valves instead of the stock 4....

What kind of stator did you replace it with? Most the aftermarket ones are junk, people have had loads of trouble with brands starting with r like ricky's, I don't remember the others

Its from another blaster.... It went from no red light at all per kick.... To a light every kick, just not strong(bright) enought it seems.... I pulled the spark plug.... It was spaced twice the recomended distance so i fixed that... But now idk if its gettin fuel... The plug wasnt dry but didnt smell like gas either...its been really cold and the bike sits in the sun half the time so idk if condensation built up and made it damp or what

Could have got condensation in the gas tank too... did you put fresh gas in? Are you sure the gas is getting yo the carb/ crack float bowl drain. Leaktest and compression test results?

Fresh gas.... Gets in the carbs...i took the carb apart cleaned it all out.... Still gotta check the reeds see if the gas is spraying into the jug...only compression test was hearing it and thumb over the spark plug hole

I need a little help everyone.....
I have an 88 blaster ....
The stock rings blew....
Tore it down( bottom end was fine) honed it out little bit bigger piston... Domed the top of the head a little.... Throw it all back together.... Wont kick over... Check the reeds - bone dry...pull the carb... Rip that down cleaned everyhole and jet .... Throw it back in.... No spark at all... No red light while kicking it.... Pull the magneto and stator- replace both... Now
I have a spark( red light comes on during kicking now but not as bright as it should be.... I need to pull the plug to see if the gas is gettin thru the reeds still but if it is.... What else could it be.. Voltage reg.. Ignition coil or both or the cdi.. And if gas isnt gettin thru the reeds could the be installed wrong... There after market and have 8 valves instead of the stock 4....

what do you mean you honed it out and put larger piston in??
it would need to be bored out by a machine to have a oversized piston
Domed the head? soo is it a larger cc know/on head?

When the rings blew it scratched walls of the jug.... It got smoothed out and the top got domed a little deeper as in the combustion area has a tiny bit more space(the length of the stoke is the same still).... As far as the piston being bigger, my buddy that did the smoothing got piston i guess the same size but a diff pitch at the top.....

that is crazy
get a comp gauge at an auto parts store for like 30bucks and do a compression test.
i have a feeling that the money you have spent will be going down the garbage shoot.
got pics??
is there a number on top of piston?

Yea... New cage and flaps..... I have the stock one still....the stock one has the 2 double windows on the cage and are covered by 4 reeds( 2 sets of 2) the one in there is double that

Compression guage is gettin picked up tomm..... U can hear the pressure build when you push the kicker by hand tho.... It sounds strong too...

Sounds like dual stage reeds, Hard to tell 100psi from 125psi compression with an ear or finger or hand

the oil light coming on when kicked is 1 thing. that could just be a weak connection with the wires
the compression is another.
my guess is you have more then 1 issue
reeds sound like v force or pyramid or duncan.

it is hard to diagnose other peoples problems on here.
but im still clueless where people are getting the idea of putting there THUMB over a PUMP/cylinder pistion rings/with reeds being the pumps valve to check compression?

it would be like saying i put my thumb over a bb gun to see how far it shoots.

Lol... I actually saw that thumb test on here i think.... I e been reading so much on not starting" issues... I picked up a guage for 25$ im gonna do a real compression test in about a half hour ....

. The bike was not gettin the light at all and the stator and magneto were original( rusty and dirty) so they got swapped with a fresh set.... Now im getting minimal light so they are atleast functional.... Its almost like theres not enought compression to pull the reeds open or sometin.... Ill check the plug when i do the comp test

I got the gauge... 120/130 psi.... Screwdriver in the plug boot= strong shock....reeds-i pulled the aftermarket cage(which had fuel on it so the carbs kickin gas) and put the stock back in with new reed flaps....im getting a new plug bc i spray starter fluid in the intake and got nothin......the carb hasnt pulled oil from the pump all the way to mix with the fuel so maybe its not startin cuz of the lack of oil moxed gas???it has pulled a little oil but not enough to reach the carb

You must bleed the oil lines before you try to start the engine.

Oil must appear at the carb end of the delivery line.

You could be doing irreparable damage using starter fluid as it contains no lubrication!

A strong shock is not always an indication of enough energy to create a spark.

Firstly try a new spark plug.

image.jpg
image.jpg