wont start after rebuild

magoo231

Apr 24, 2008
Dallas texas
I have a 98 blaster just bought today that is driving me CRAZY. No start problem will start on starter fluid but will not pull gas from carb. Have cleaned every jet and port 3 times and even installed 2nd carb i have. compession is 165 psi by the third kick and cked key way in flywheel it is good. It has a good blue spark sparkplug is new and gaped at .30. Have installed a set of reeds valves. no change with thors unpluged in carb. Help it is driving me nuts LOL. The guy i bought it from just rebuilt the engine and it has not started since. I ask him what way he pointed the arrow on the piston and he said the exhaust or in the front position. Thank you for your help.

If it runs on start fluid it has to be a fuel problem. check and make sure you have good gas flow from the gas tank and fuel line and new mixed gas. It won't start if gas is old. switching carbs would have eliminated any previous carb problem so it most likely is what i mentioned earlier.

just found the problem the person i bought it from when rebuilding the top end broke the head stud closest to the carb so it is leaking not pulling a vaccum iat least i hope this is it.

I have a 98 blaster just bought today that is driving me CRAZY. No start problem will start on starter fluid but will not pull gas from carb. Have cleaned every jet and port 3 times and even installed 2nd carb i have. compession is 165 psi by the third kick and cked key way in flywheel it is good. It has a good blue spark sparkplug is new and gaped at .30. Have installed a set of reeds valves. no change with thors unpluged in carb. Help it is driving me nuts LOL. The guy i bought it from just rebuilt the engine and it has not started since. I ask him what way he pointed the arrow on the piston and he said the exhaust or in the front position. Thank you for your help.

I don't know if this will help but I had the same exact problem after a rebuild. I had spark, compression and fuel. The plug smelled like fuel everytime I pulled it out. It turned out to be the stator. I even checked the darn thing just like it says in the manual and everything metered out good. It drove me crazy. I had the good fortune of being able to try a stator from another machine that we know was good before buying a new one. I would have thought the spark would have at least looked weak or non existent if the stator was "bad". My spark looked good but apparently not good enough or often enough to keep it running.

sounds like fuel, should dump the gas and clean out the gas tank, i forget what the stuff is called but its like draino and you pour it in and kind of slush it around then you drain it out and it gets rid of old gunked up gas and dirt that has made its way into the tank

sounds like fuel, should dump the gas and clean out the gas tank, i forget what the stuff is called but its like draino and you pour it in and kind of slush it around then you drain it out and it gets rid of old gunked up gas and dirt that has made its way into the tank

Mrbrocco. I never had to clean a plastic tank before but a tip for metal ones to get the rust out is to use toilet cleaner and it eats the rust right out.

Well i pulled the head and jug and was inspecting every thing and when looking at the crank i could see my garage floor the case has a hole in it. does anyone have a case for sale please pm me. Thanks for the help.