wont rev above 1/4 throttle

josh baker

Sep 25, 2014
my cousin has a blaster he just picked up when he got it it had a bad stator.. had no spark we replaced the stator then it still wouldn't start turned out to be a cracked reed we threw some pro series reeds in and now it will start however it will not rev out past quarter throttle its like it has a rev limiter im thinking a tors problem due to experiencing tors issues on my banshee... however all of the tors junk is unhooked it has
fmf pipe and shorty silencer
timing at stock
105 lbs compression
stock carb with k&n
stock pilot i think 32.5 ?
plug is very rich at the 230 main it had in it when he got it were down to a 210 at the moment and its still rich on the plug chop anyone have any ideas whats up here?

210 is way to low.. Does it have the oil injection or are you mixing fuel? Is there anything blocking intake or exhaust? Critter nests, rags, extremely dirty filter, etc... ?

ok:)
what brand stator?
what brand compression tester?
105 psi tells me you need to rebuild top end it should be around 120psi
also i did not even know they made a 210main jet. for a blaster..stock is 230 and up.

If it will not rev after 1/4 throttle then you have been fooled, the main jet does not come into play until 3/4 throttle and above.

Have you set the float level?

Have you adjusted the idle to specs?

These things must be done before you attempt a plug chop.

Reach down and pull the fuel enrichment knob out at 1/4 throttle, if it gets better the mixture is lean or you have an air leak.

If it gets worse then it is too rich!

oil injection is blocked off ... mixing 32:1
stator is a caltric brand off ebay
comp tester is from autozone not an hf
doing a leak test this week
my elevation is 1380

Take the stator off and use it to hold down things that may blow away, then get an oem stator. Leak test get the carb clean and floats set, air screw set and idle set. Put a 300 main, with lid off or 280 with it on and chop from there

The 88-89 blaster used a 210 main jet stock.
The only stators that are recommended are OEM the aftermarket stators are junk and cause nothing but headache. If it is not going past 1/4 throttle it is likely not the Main Jet. My guess it that your issue is the pilot jet and Needle Jet.

However with the mods you have i would guess a 240 or 250 Main would be where you are at.

image.jpg
The Yamaha service manual says #220, but you have to read the small print at the end of the manual.

thanks guys ..... were going to do a leak test within the week because i have a feeling we have have bad gaskets or seals spent an hr today degreasing the motor.... this thing has really been rode hard every bushing and bearing is shot