Wondering what you would be willing to pay?

gizzy2014

Rippin' Hard
Jul 22, 2012
dickinson ND
hey guys made one of these coat racks for myself, was just wondering what you guys thought they could sell for if i made more of them?

heres what i have in it
paid $2.69 a shoe
$10.99 for the flat strip on the back (rip off, but didnt have time to go to steel yard for cheaper)
4 welding rods i had laying around

i have $40 into this one, and i believe i could build them for $30 if i bought materials somewhere else

it is 23in wide, the flat strip has holes 16in on center for easy mounting on the studs in a wall

I've learned with Ebay,no matter how cool you think what you made is, more than likely it won't sell unless dirt cheap. I made 3 of these (and others with different wood and knobs)
IMG_20140215_152022.jpg

And I've only sold one in a year, when I marked it down to $20. I can sell the knobs by themselves for more than that. My advice would be not to try ebay unless you can get your cost way down and make em fast. I've actually contemplated doing the same thing. If you can find a ferrier (idk how to spell that), a lot of times they will give you all the used shoes you want, and you could prob do without the strap and save some $$$

yeah, after looking at the ones on ebay i think id only be able to build them for friends that wanted one,

i believe i could cut the amount of time to make them in half, i had alittle figuring to do on this one, think i could do it in a half hour

i can shave about $10 off them buying materials at a different place, if i could find a guy like mentioned above that takes them off i could do it real cheap

so i guess ive decided to probably not pursue a larger amount of them for now

X-2 on used shoes. They aren't worth the time for the farrier to pick up for scrap, so they just go in trash.
Couple holes drilled in the nail slots eliminates strap.

Back when I was doing maintenance on the horse farm someone had collected several buckets of them. Considering they get new shoes 3-4 times a year, that's a lot of worn shoes. Don't know if you have "horse farms" out that way, or if it's more random, but maybe if there is try hitting them up, or farriers.

Just because you can't compete on ebay doesn't mean you cant make money though. I'm gonna set up a stand in a busy local nursery here when tourist season starts and see how it does. Downside to ebay is the competition and your looking at pics. People are more likely to buy something like this when they see it in person

no i had never planned to sell on ebay, just for the moment idk if ill make any more cause i dont have a welder at my apartment, and im thinking my teacher wouldnt want me to make like 15 of them in class, and id try to find the parts for cheaper before i did it to.