wireing

Mar 22, 2009
homeland GA
im having trouble wiring up my cdi. i have all but the grenn wire pluged. the green wire comeing from the cdi is green with white stripe and the green wire coming from the wiring harness is solid green. there is on black wire comeing out tof the harness that has been splcied into making it three wires. also when u oil block off do u have to cut any wires to make it a complete curcut? please help

hee is a pic. hope it helps

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 891
Let me see if I can help you straighten this mess out. Lol. Are you working on a pre-2003 Blasty? These years of the quad, like the one in your sig, have two 'Black Boxes' under the cover. One controls the TORS. The other is your CDI box.

Assuming that you have a PRE-2003 Blaster with separate TORS/CDI boxes, the green wire has nothing to do with the ignition system. It simply supplies current to the low oil level switch that used to be inside the oil tank. You can cut/remove this wire, as well as the black wire running alongside it. This won't affect the running of the engine. Connections like these VV are used by Yamaha to tie like circuits together.

007-4.jpg

All the solid black wires you see inside the harness are ground wires. The black wire that used to go to the oil switch is simply an un-needed ground that can be cut at the factory splice. On these Blasters (88-'02), the CDI box is the one mounted lower on the front frame. There are four wires entering the box from the stator, and one more orange wire leaving the box to go to the ignition coil. See pic VV.

006-3.jpg

Just connect the four wires coming from the stator to the CDI box VV

004-3.jpg

and the quad will run, provided that the TORS 'Black Box' has been removed. You can cut all the TORS wiring out of the harness without hurting anything. Snip out all the yellows, and then go for the black grounds at their splices. With the TORS all removed and the four CDI leads hooked up, the engine will start and run fine. I:I

I will say that later model Blasters (2003-on) use one, unitized CDI and TORS box under the front cover. On these quads, or if you are using a post-2003 stator plate on a pre-2003 wiring harness, there WILL be a green wire coming right off the stator plate. You will need to ground it out for the engine to run. You can still cut all the TORS and low oil level switch wiring (including the green one) out of the bike; just remember to ground the green stator wire out against the frame, or the engine won't start.

Good Luck!

Reactions: liminlime_2005
deffinately alot of help man thanks. i couldnt rember if the green wire coming out of the flywheel cover was grounder or not. i will give this a shot tomorrow and see what i have. hopefully u will be around to morrow as well incase im in need of assistance.
rep point well earned

oh i also ment to ask what is the blue wire for?

The blue wire comes from your voltage regulator. It is routed through the handlebar switch and used to supply DC current to the head and tail light bulbs. This wire serves the same function on all years of Blaster. I'd leave it, and the rest of the lighting system, alone. In my opinion, removing lights creates a safety hazard. That's up to you, though. The engine only needs the exciter and trigger coils, CDI box, and igntion coil to run. A kill switch sometimes comes in handy, too. :D Everything else can be stripped off, if desired. I like running my lights, but they're nonessential. Hope that helps.

i switched frames not to long ago and swapping to another wiring harness as well. the blue wire is cut on the new wiring harness. where does it go to because i do like to use my lights because i ride at night as well. thanks

i got it together and running now. the headlight and kill switch works but the blue wire coming out the wireharness at the gas tank is cut and i thought it was suppose to have some kind of a lead but i guess not.

can any1 help me re wiring my 2000 yamaha stator plate..i bought the three seperate parts instead of the complete plate to cut down costs but i dont know which wires connect to which parts..any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited: