Wide open throttle help

Michael11

Apr 7, 2019
i was out riding today and I ran out of gas. But before I knew I had run out my blaster got like stuck wide open. Wouldn’t shut off even with switch and key. Eventually I stalled it by throwing it in gear. Is this “Normal” when you’ve run out of gas but still have the oil injecting into the carb?

Totally normal. As it runs out of gas it goes lean (not enough fuel), lean = heat, to the point that the spark plug gets red hot and acts like a glow plug (think RC car)

This is also known as Auto-ignition :eek:

Alright thank you. I was super concerned as to why it did that. Is there any correction to keep it from running away instead of stalling when out of fuel?

Last edited:
Alright thank you. I was super concerned as to why it did that. Is there any correction to keep it from running away instead of stalling when out of fuel?

yep....don't let it run out of fuel

Yeah this happened to me. Scary as heck. Got a blaster for 900 bucks and just needed a woodruff key to start.had just fix a fuel leak from the petcock too so I was keeping minimal fuel in it. Once it kicked over and I was working on other stuff I would let it idle in the driveway and go inside for short periods.

Luckily I could hear the high RPM’s from inside cuz she was screaming when I came out. Panic mode set in when the kill switch wouldn’t work. I was waiting for it blow up any second and didn’t know whether to duck for cover or start yanking wires and fuel lines. Luckily I knew enough to drop it in gear and it was a relief and close call. Maybe even drop it into 2nd or higher to be safe

This is something I think everyone should be aware of and should be on an orange tag riveted to the plastic lol.

Worst case I would have a junk top end I couldn’t sell cuz I’m swapping it out for a big bore anyway

Still something every blaster owner should be aware of. Glad I learned my lesson early before I dropped my full rebuild on it