When it rains it pours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enough bickering everyone. It's not helping a thing.

Dually, I asked you nicely not to come back onto my thread and harass me about anything anymore. It was clearly stated in the chatbox, PM's (not between you and I mind you), and in this thread after other comments of yours were deleted. I'll ask one more time for you to please, kindly, not come back on my thread (unless it's constructive of course!)

I posted the video on youtube. I posted it in this thread. This project has come a long way in a relatively short period of time (mind you, I had no drag experience at all prior to this and started it for giggles) and will continue on. I have another donor cylinder sitting on the shelf right now just "begging for mods" as we speak. I'm going to get it setup and do some MORE testing this fall and next spring. It will return to the strip as a homebrew "mofo" and hopefully, continue to improve.

I've learned TONS in the past year and continue to learn each time I take it out. That's what this entire thing was about anyway, not about how much money I could shell out to "buy" a fast quad but what I could learn and innovate to build a fast quad.

Well put James, and thank you for posting and pictures as you go.
It is all about the learning, isn't it? Otherwise it is just about more money than brains.
Sometimes when you stand up and try, there will be people ready to cut you down, but there are others wishing you well.
Sometimes our actions and words are a reflection into our soul. Karma. We will receive in what we give out.

When I walk a maze, I make a hundred wrong turns to that one success.
Learning, improving is a maze, working to a success.
I enjoyed the vid, and I see promise. Congratulations on the integrity to post it.
Godspeed to you, and keep sharing.

Steve

good to see you are making progess with it. sucks they were so unorganized! i didnt get a few timeslips myself. i know some guys that did not get one correct slip! what a joke!

Alright so I have a few updates.

First off, I'd like to point out that this is a first year build. I did not run this setup until April for the first time ever. That's one season...

Second, the o-ringed head gasket worked FLAWLESSLY. I had the copper head gasket give me problems getting it tight enough to stop leaking without pulling studs. I took pics but haven't uploaded to photobucket yet. There is a defined "flower shaped" ring on the head where the cylinder was sitting but not one little bit of oily mess outside of that o-ring groove. I'm pleased as punch with how well that worked out.

Third, I have disassembled the entire bottom end and stripped the cases of all usable parts. They and the cylinder haven't been taken off to the big blaster ride in the sky already. That means it's time to start on V2.0 which is going to be a much more realistic port timing, port area, and head volume. Now I know how far NOT to go I'm going to start honing in on the goal.

One more interesting note.... I glowplugged at some point at Busco. I installed NGK BR8ES plugs for testing purposes at Busco gapped at like .025". One spark plug came out perfect looking (other than some burnt oil discoloration) but the other was gapped at like .080". It was SO much wider than the other it actually drew my attention as soon as it came out. It wasn't grounding strap burnt away, it was actually the copper electrode burnt down. Considering how corrosive the fuel is and how much ignition timing I was running, I don't consider that abnormal... just interesting to note!

That's usually the way it goes too, ya try a hundred times before ya finally get it!

Are you sticking with using methmix?

I am definitely sticking with the "high test" fuel despite its high cost and unfriendliness to run.

I believe it's the only way to pack enough energy into the cylinder to overcome displacement shortcomings in the stock motor.

So I got a little deal worked the other week. No guarantee I'm going to run it, it's unsilenced.... but I'm certainly gonna try it!

I got a deal because like all used RDZ pipes, it had been broken at the stinger. It had been repaired trackside in the past to less than satisfactory results. Of course, trackside repairs it doesn't matter what they look like, as long as they work and this did for the remainder of the day. It was also missing the cylinder adapter.

So time for a little SCD magic!

DSCF1466.jpg

I cut all of the old patch job off and rewelded the stinger back onto the pipe and then put on a second layer:

DSCF1463.jpg

DSCF1464.jpg

The pipe has an adapter with an o-ring:

DSCF1467.jpg

So I made a cylinder adapter:

DSCF1469.jpg

DSCF1470.jpg

That in particular is difficult because the material is SO thin but really, all of those pipes should have a reinforcement around the stinger mount. I've seen three broken ones in person.

Looks Good And Waiting to hear your Results with it ! , I like the Way the Dmc Mounts Similar to Stock with the Flange style , As long as it doe's not get Over Tightened It will Seal Just Fine .

Holy sh*t, i just read all 90 pages, learned a lot. Thanks.

Sweet build Bro. Looking forward to seeing more progress!

You read ALL 90 pages? Hats off sir, I don't have the patience to read back through but about half of it and the majority of it, I wrote.

Guess I could add that I have started on V2.0 engine already just no pics yet. Already started in on getting the cylinder prepped with the new cylinder mounting holes and started cutting aluminum round rod to fit into all of the corners of the cylinder. As I make significant progress on the newest iteration of the monster, I'll continue to take pics and add info/updates.

You read ALL 90 pages? Hats off sir, I don't have the patience to read back through but about half of it and the majority of it, I wrote.

Guess I could add that I have started on V2.0 engine already just no pics yet. Already started in on getting the cylinder prepped with the new cylinder mounting holes and started cutting aluminum round rod to fit into all of the corners of the cylinder. As I make significant progress on the newest iteration of the monster, I'll continue to take pics and add info/updates.

Well, took me a few days! :eek:

Actually had a question to ask you, I'm gona send you a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.