Wheelies..

C

cmattox23

Just out of curiosity, what gear are you all in when you pull her up..I can't seem to find the sweet spot..didn't have much of a prob on a 250ex but I always end up needing to shift and haven't found the talent to shift in the middle of a wheelie :(

Just didn't know what you all went by

yeah im not too great at wheelies but i usually do them in 2nd gear its just hard because u have to get the blaster all the way up and keep the balance and play with the back break if u wana hold it for a long. once in a while i find the sweet spot and can hold a 30 foot wheelie.

2nd gear usually, sometimes 3rd, she has the power now that i ported it :)

i guess you could do it in 1st if you can't get it to come up in 2nd, but 1st really isn't tall enough to get it to come up the whole way unless you start the wheelie from a stand still and just pop the clutch and pull her strait up, then shift. but the way i do it...

bog it down in 2nd, and crack it till you feel the power start kickin in. let off, crack it again and pull up on the handlebars. its gonna feel like it should be flippin over backwards before you find the "sweet spot" but don't worry, keep it hammered. the feel changes, it feels like the front end is comming up for a while, then when it feels like the front end is comming back, thats when your gettin into the sweet spot. if you have the stock rear grab bar and are practicing on level ground, if you go back too far it will just ride on the rear tires and bar,you can ride around like that if you want to. hit the back brakes and it will flop right back down. only had it go bad on me once ridin on the bar, cause it hit a hole with one of the tires, bounced sideways, then rolled lol, didn't hurt me, but the front tire hit the ground pretty hard, the rim sunk down into the ground about 2 inches and it popped the tire off the bead! but like they say, if it aint broke you aint ridin it hard enough!

back to the wheelies, once you get it up, you'll have to shift cuase ur gonna be at the very top of 2nd. i just pop it up into 3rd without the clutch. let the gas off real quick, upshift clutchless, and hit the gas again. i can usually then keep it up for a while, upshift into 4th and occasionally 5th if i need to, but i never use the brakes to keep it from goin over backwards, just let off the gas a second.

i almost always just stay sitting if i'm gonna ride them for a while, it is a little harder to get it to come up, initially, but once you do it seems like its easier to shift and feel the balance point sitting. i only usually stand if i need to do a little wheelie over a puddle or ditch, but it's all a matter of preference really.

practice, wear your brain bucket just in case, and don't be afraid to go over backwards.

hahaha, where do i start my wheelies..hmm..

well...that depends on my mood!!

if im throttle happy, i just hammer it in first gear and shift through all my gears riding along like a happy little moron :)

if im more mellow that day i let it go low in second until i can rev it up, and i hammer it and do the same thing as i would any other time

(never ever ever try what i do in the throttle happy version without sitting down first, its a bad idea.)

On my '91 i put it in 2nd gear and then get the engine rev down and then i rav it sll the way up, pull up on fhe handlebars and push down with my feet. It will pop up for a few seconds depending on your weight