what would you guys likes to see on a quad

sillykid

Oct 11, 2009
North Jersey
well im going to build my own bike from scratch prob custom frame as a prototype but i want to know waht you guys would like to see on a quad such as design and frame comfort like blaster front with rapter sub frame or a 250r frame ect give me your ideas and i will see what i come up with

i dont need a lecture on how hard this will be i work in a machine shop and can aquire the proper tools

thanks in advance anthony

borrow a honda frame..250r, jig off the front end so you have all your a-arm pivot locations, right and left interlocking sliding jig. add 3 or 4 more degrees of rake and use the jig to get your a-arm mounts (r&L) as close together as possible. you cant do the rear untill you have your motor situated so you know where your swingarm pivot is going to be. the lower you can get your swingarm pivot, the more travel you can get without running into chain torque issues

i'd like to see a skinny blonde and a nice meaty latino chick on the quad together, in bikini's of course!!!!!

i'd have to say if anyone knows about frame building and geometry, phragle is the man, listen to what he said

Honda front geometry rocks, always has except to bump the travel you really need to get the a-arms closer together to decrease bump steer. Personally I like a little bit more rake. For the rear, no linkageIf you look at what leager, roll and I did in the rear, its all pretty similiar, but then again when all that stuff was being designed we all knew each other. You want to end up with about 12" of travel at each end, but you have to take into acount the guys that run those damn 18" skateboard wheels so the frame isnt smaking on the ground when you bottom out.

It really doesn't matter what is out there... (other than you cant go wrong copying the honda front end). You have to figure out what you want to build..what do you want it to do? MX? cross country? trail riding??

all great info and things to consider, and i agree F them
18" skateboard wheels, whats their purpose anyway, they look stupid, and if it's for more acceleration, change the grearing instead or build the motor

you have to think geomety and physics. Those 18" tires lower the center of gravity and roll enertia, ideal for fairly smoothed groomed tracks when your cornering. However we discovered when setting up flat track quads you can go too low and that negatively effects wieght changes and tire loading in corners making you slide too much. People don't realize what the changes they do to their bike really does. Did you know that extending the swingarm or widening the axle changes the way mass is distributed and actually decreases traction? The 86 and 87 250rs had really loose rear ends and had a tendency to want to spin out. SHORTENING the swingarm 1" greatly improved the handeling, in 88 the 250r came from the factory with a swingarm that was... 1" shorter. What you do to one end of a quad effects the other.. when you go +X +1 on a-arms, moving the balljoints 1" forward, it has a similiar effect to shortening the swingarm as it changes the weight bias.

how about something very simular to a blaster frame but aluminm like a yfz450r frame but smaller and bolts all blaster parts on to it easy besides susenpesion so say, yfz450r frame in the middle shorten it about +3,then make perfect mounts for the motor that can hold the swing arm and everything,make it so that all aftermarket pipes fit the blaster motor, Then make a swingarm to fit into this,and the rest use yfz450r parts aarms,shocks ect............then I will purchase this frame for 1000$ of you or trade you a 03 cr85

you have to think geomety and physics. Those 18" tires lower the center of gravity and roll enertia, ideal for fairly smoothed groomed tracks when your cornering. However we discovered when setting up flat track quads you can go too low and that negatively effects wieght changes and tire loading in corners making you slide too much. People don't realize what the changes they do to their bike really does. Did you know that extending the swingarm or widening the axle changes the way mass is distributed and actually decreases traction? The 86 and 87 250rs had really loose rear ends and had a tendency to want to spin out. SHORTENING the swingarm 1" greatly improved the handeling, in 88 the 250r came from the factory with a swingarm that was... 1" shorter. What you do to one end of a quad effects the other.. when you go +X +1 on a-arms, moving the balljoints 1" forward, it has a similiar effect to shortening the swingarm as it changes the weight bias.

Ok.Whats your take on Blaster +? swing arms?

i've been thinking about doing something similar, use cromolly steel, use the honda front end like phragle was talking about, but set up the motor to use a yz250 motor, and make it so it'll use already available pipes. then the rear i'd have to come up with something.

+3 OR +4 to much for woods racing,ridding?

Woods racing, the blaster has an advantage because its short and nimble, wheelies easy to get the front end over things, narrow to fit in between trees.... If you cant keep the front end on the ground, a little longer swingarm might help but better riding technique will help too. A plus 3 or 4 really has no real advantage woods racing. a +2 would help if you were climbing a lot of hills though.