what reeds to use?

dirtyr81

Feb 20, 2012
Davenport, Ia
Hi guys. My first post on here. I was just wondering what reeds to use with my 2000 with an fmf fatty gold series pipe , jetted to 260, with no airbox lid? Thanks
P.S. i dont have much money to work with

If you aren't looking to spend too much money on them, you could go with boyesen, a lot of people run them and like them. There is also Vito's dual stage reeds which are supposed to help with low end. I ran them for awhile until I ended up going to vf3's.

I am not sure of your temp and elevation, but a main of #260 seems a little on the lean side for your mods, but I could be wrong.

Have you done a plug chop to verify if the jet is correct.

Vito's dual stage seem to be the best bang for your buck!

You may not experience any increase in power, even with the most expensive set of reeds, all you will notice with better reeds is a much crisper throttle response.

i was going to go with a 280 but it wasnt getting enough air with the airbox lid on with the 260. it runs great with the setup i have now just the low end of rpm is choppy. so i will price those reeds. thanks guys. any drawback to buying used reeds?

I wouldn't buy used reeds unless you are looking at the whole vf3 setup, replacement reeds are cheap enough to pick up new and the used reeds could be cracked or warped.

i was going to go with a 280 but it wasnt getting enough air with the airbox lid on with the 260. it runs great with the setup i have now just the low end of rpm is choppy. so i will price those reeds. thanks guys. any drawback to buying used reeds?

I really would recommend that you do a plug chop to verify the correct jet.

A motor will run really well and perform great with a leaner than optimum mixture, and then die due to detonation. You may not notice what is happening when riding, and hear nothing, but the piston will slowly fry and then cause major problems.

The only way to see if you got it right, is to do a plug chop!

how do i do a plug chop? ive never heard of it. thanks for the welcome. ive been reading here about a month and learned so much, i had to sign up. why cant i get on the buy/sell parts. im looing for reeds

dont get used reeds.. a new set of vitos or boyesens can be had for 30 bones.. type in plug chop into the search box and read away I:I. also the for sale/wanted forums have rules to keep scamming down.. u need to either be a supporting member or have 300 posts

Reeds are a throwaway maintenance part, kinda like a plug. Would you buy a used condom?

Anyhow I've got Vito's 2 stage on both Blasturd and Banshee and satisfied with them, think they are less than Boysen.