Weight

nofxfan125

May 9, 2009
Freeland, PA
Has anyone ever weighed an entire engine (top end, bottom end, etc) with all fluids removed? How much does one weigh? I need to know a weight for a shipping price.

Bud, If you can wait 2-3 days, i can give you number. quick question, Is it just the motor. no carb, pipe, or fluid.....this number also depends on whats inside. like crank, piston, and rod.

i am going to say around 60-75lbs.
i know a banshee engine was around 90lbs and a lt250r is around 75ish.

it wont be hard to weigh, if you have the engine out, and you have a bathroom scale, just hold the engine and weigh yourself with it, then just weigh yourself. the difference it the engine weight.

i am going to say around 60-75lbs.
i know a banshee engine was around 90lbs and a lt250r is around 75ish.

it wont be hard to weigh, if you have the engine out, and you have a bathroom scale, just hold the engine and weigh yourself with it, then just weigh yourself. the difference it the engine weight.

Just make sure the engine is clean!!!

^^^ just wear a old shirt lol.

but i dont work on dirty engines, they are cleaned before they are taken apart.

good point. im taking my motor out today but it does not have a top end on it. im taking it off to clean and i also need to put spacers on my nerf bar/engine mount set up cause my AC Nerfs didnt come with them.

^^^ ya dirt in engine = very bad

but about the weight, some shipping places will just charge you a billable weight that is far greater than what your actual item weighs. this is dude to the size of the box used to ship it.
a little tip, also use a rectangular box. it is stackable, this will shave off the price of shipping. if you are shipping the engine, make sure you do have all the fluids drained, if they see oil spots on the bottom of the box, they will stop shipment of it right there.
also make sure the engine is secure, you dont want it rolling around.

thanks guys. It'll just be the engine. Nothing else. I can wait. I'm not even in my home state right now. I'm on vacation. I won't be back till Friday. hah.

dont know the weight, but it cost me $45 + $4 for $500 insurance, to send mine to from pa to ken oconnor in conneticut
ups

Damn AWK thanks. I did a price quote UPS and put in dimensions 24"x24"x24" and 50 lbs. I said it was worth 1500, and they said something like 83 dollars. That was also to Utah.

it was just shy of $100 for me to ship a 421 cub to FAST from cincy with insurance.

what i did with the banshee motor was cut a board and bolt the engine to the board through the lower mounts.
the other time, i had a plastic container, just the lower part, i then tape the engine down to it with stock boxing tape.
both time it worked.

i did not build a box, i packed it in a box with styrofoam all around it, then put it in another box with balled newspaper all around it, packed tight
but ken oconnor shipped it back to me in a "hard" plastic crate, the kind with the
bi-fold top, not the chincy/flimsy dollar store ones
and he bitched at me for only doing $500 insurance, $1000 would be sufficient

I see a lot of crappy shipping working at the Post Office. A box within a box is great, but the absolute best shipping container for a motor is an ICE CHEST. Double wall plastic construction, the ones with wheels and a handle are great too, but even a cheap one is fine and they all have handles! Lots of tape to hold it closed and packed tight inside so that it won't move around. Guaranteed to make it to its destination without poking through. Plus, when you get it back you've got someplace to keep your BEER.

BTW, UPS sucks. If for some reason you don't like saving money at the Post Office, go with FEDEX ground. I would be surpised if it actually weighed as much as 60 lbs.

AWK I would never insure my engine for 500 bucks. There's way too much into it. hah. The 240 alone covers the 500 bucks.

Royalt I had no idea that the post office would ship an engine. I thought only UPS and FedEX would do somethin like that.

i ship almost everything through the post office, part of it is that they're only like half a block away, but they're usually cheap and printing off/paying online for flatrate postage is the sh!t

UPS is terrible. They could care less how they treat your package and they’ll never admit it was their fault if they damage your engine. The only way they’ll pay an insurance claim is if they lose your engine.
USPS is the best. Build a small wooden frame for the bottom of the engine and tape the engine to it. Place the engine into a plastic tote and stuff it with cushioning material. Don’t be shy. When you think you have enough padding, stuff more in. Cushion on all sides as well as the top. Put the lid on and drill a bunch of holes around the outer edge. Use zip ties inside the holes you just drilled to keep the lid on. Should weigh about 50 lbs when you’re done. The cooler is a great idea!

^^^^ is that with the engine or without?
doubtful that an engine with that crate will weigh less than 50lbs.

and like stated, USPS has a weight limit of 70lbs.

i have also never had a bad dealing with UPS. i shipped a LCD screen through UPS, it got broken, i didn't have extra insurance, they paid me the $100 that is free insurance without a problem.