Upgrade Question

richransom80

Dec 19, 2020
Clarksville, TN
Just got a 2006 blaster. It rides fairly well, power seems ok, BUT it dies if I don’t keep some throttle pressure. I want to upgrade to VForce Reeds, a NIBBI performance 30mm carb, and K&N air filter. It has FMF Silencer, but I think the exhaust is stock. I can’t make out any branding on the exhaust. Oil delete has already been completed. Hoping to get some help with a few questions... thanks in advance

Questions
- What do I need to upgrade the air box and add K&N filter?
- Will the VForce Reeds and Carb require me to upgrade jetting? If so, how do I do that?
- Will adding a FMF pipe make a big difference, or can that wait a while?
- What am I missing? .... Im new to this... what are the considerations that I may be missing? Additional parts needed, etc....

As far as the air box and filter. I would run a quality oiled foam filter.great flow and filter very well. For better flow on air box. Most either drill holes in lid or remove it completely.this will require bigger 1 or 2 sizes up on main. Jetting .Really depends on the environment you ride in for lid mod.

2nd question
Generally Reeds do not require rejetting.
With a stock motor the stock carb will work good. The 30mm may slow you down

Fmf will give you a noticeable gain over a stock expansion chamber. This will require jetting. Which come with a new pipe.
As with all jetting you will have to plug chop to confirm for proper jet size. Search jetting and plug chops on here.

Did you try adjusting idle screw for your idle problem?
Could also be a clogged pilot jet. And or air screw adjustment may be wrong.

Reactions: richransom80
As far as the air box and filter. I would run a quality oiled foam filter.great flow and filter very well. For better flow on air box. Most either drill holes in lid or remove it completely.this will require bigger 1 or 2 sizes up on main. Jetting .Really depends on the environment you ride in for lid mod.

2nd question
Generally Reeds do not require rejetting.
With a stock motor the stock carb will work good. The 30mm may slow you down

Fmf will give you a noticeable gain over a stock expansion chamber. This will require jetting. Which come with a new pipe.
As with all jetting you will have to plug chop to confirm for proper jet size. Search jetting and plug chops on here.

Did you try adjusting idle screw for your idle problem?
Could also be a clogged pilot jet. And or air screw adjustment may be wrong.

Thank you! I appreciate your response and input. Yea, the idle screw is non existent. I discovered this the first time I took it out on the trails. The previous owner had rigged it with a bolt and nut. It’s pretty rigged. Something else I need to fix.

So I bought the carb already, and again I don’t know much about it, so I’m trying to make sure I don’t make a mistake. So you’re saying it would be better to return the 30 mm carb and get a new stock carb? You have any recommendations with brand name?

Thanks Again.