UNI Filters

I used engine oil on a filter. It was a Briggs and Stratton 3.5 hp push mower back in 1989. LOL. I did the K&N filter kit cost me $15. Not to bad. Instructions are a snap. Hey, Markblaster, what type of pre- filter are you using?

I'm using a black one. :) HEHE Na its a Outerwears Air Pre-Filter from oemcycles running in a CMF Aluminum airbox.

DSCN4012.JPG

DSCN3840.jpg

I do have a K&N on one of my Blasters, and I have used them for years on various cars and trucks. Not so much of a fan of them. They do flow more than paper filters, but I have often observed sand and grit getting through. My Crown Vic had a spot in the plenum where oil from the PCV would collect. With a K&N on this oil would be gritty. I switched back to a paper air filter in the Crown Vic. I do not see a performance advantage in the Blaster, and I don't like the risk of grit in the engine.

Incidentally that car, an old police car, lived on for over a decade, 2 teenaged drivers and 380,000kms in spite of a couple years of K&N filter and heavy foot driving.

As for foam filters, washing them with hot water may cause the glued seams to come apart.
I agree with AWK08 that motor oil is a poor substitute for filter oil.
Barely better than nothing. Don't cheap out. Use the right stuff, get the right results.

I have had some foam filters disintegrate with time. Wrong oil used on them? I dunno.

Pod filters and CFM airboxes. Biggest turkeys I have ever wasted money on.
My son had a CFM airbox on one of his Blasters, what a disappointment for power.
Same with pods on Blaster and other bikes. Tuner's nighmare.

Reactions: speedyslyder
I'll give the K&N a try.. I don't put a zillion miles on the quad, nor am I doing Mach 6 with it either. I'm sure it will be just as advertised. Besides, at my age i,m not that into being thrown around and really don't want to rely on a death grip to enjoy the quad. I'm just glad to see this thing run. This thing was destined for the scrap heap when I intervened. The whole project cost me $325. I'm really happy with it. Now, the biggest thing I need is the correct carb, but thats a ways off. Moneys a little tight. Its in the works.
-Tank-

I do have a K&N on one of my Blasters, and I have used them for years on various cars and trucks. Not so much of a fan of them. They do flow more than paper filters, but I have often observed sand and grit getting through. My Crown Vic had a spot in the plenum where oil from the PCV would collect. With a K&N on this oil would be gritty. I switched back to a paper air filter in the Crown Vic. I do not see a performance advantage in the Blaster, and I don't like the risk of grit in the engine.

Incidentally that car, an old police car, lived on for over a decade, 2 teenaged drivers and 380,000kms in spite of a couple years of K&N filter and heavy foot driving.

As for foam filters, washing them with hot water may cause the glued seams to come apart.
I agree with AWK08 that motor oil is a poor substitute for filter oil.
Barely better than nothing. Don't cheap out. Use the right stuff, get the right results.

I have had some foam filters disintegrate with time. Wrong oil used on them? I dunno.

Pod filters and CFM airboxes. Biggest turkeys I have ever wasted money on.
My son had a CFM airbox on one of his Blasters, what a disappointment for power.
Same with pods on Blaster and other bikes. Tuner's nighmare.

everyone thought i had a cold air intake on my honda accord
but nope it was a k&n filter origional box.
it sucks as it cuts....metal..lol:D
performance or just sound ahhh a little bit of both longevity uhhmmm probably not depending on application.

Reactions: Markblaster