turboing 2 stroke's

gizzy2014

Rippin' Hard
Jul 22, 2012
dickinson ND
ok guys i know one person had it on his blaster, i dont plan to turbo my 2 stroke,

i understand how a 2 stroke works and how turboes work, i just cant wrap my head around getting the two to work together very well

correct my if im wrong but the pipe design of a 2 stroke bounces the exhaust wave back pushing fuel that went into the pipe back into the cylinder which is sorta "supercharging" it i saw that on a youtube video that explained 2 stroke pipe design i believe or read it on a page explaining it

so moving on to the next part, if you your building boost, which probably wouldnt be a huge amount, but any number of boost going into a 2 stroke engine past the reeds wouldnt the boost just hold them open and not allow them to work with the pipe as they are designed to?

the reason i bring this up is because i watched a sled video that has a turboed 2 stroke in it, i assume sleds have reeds like any other 2 smoker??

at 1:30 or so u can see the exhaust be put it and the turbo installed

so basically im asking if anyone can explain how they work with reeds, cause thats the only part i cant really figure out

unless you make it fuel injected, and when its got boost just dump a bunch of fuel into it cause the turb is sucking it out of the pipe, i dont know how it works

there yeah go thats my only theory, enlighten me otherwise

interesting topic, now that you mention it i dont see how it would work at all.

when it has boost its creating pressure in the pipe, which would in turn force too much air/fuel back into the engine

even if fuel injected i see it being a problem by not letting the enough of the gases out when boosting

oh,i think i get it. while creating pressure in the expansion chamber, its also pushing air ino the intake, thus re-leaving the problem of reeds staying closed

so basically it cancels itself out to work. if you get what i mean

Interesting video. They have the tuned pipe dumping into the turbo. A lot of heat energy would be lost and the backpressure would be critical but there is flow and a gain could be had. I started playing with 2 strokes in 1976 and with turbos in 1985 but have never put them together. As for the reeds, not a problem. they just act as a check valve to assure one way flow into the crankcase. If the turbo has more boost than the crankcase compression they will stay open and the turbo will blow through like a 6-71 2stroke diesel. No problem.

Steve

Interesting video. They have the tuned pipe dumping into the turbo. A lot of heat energy would be lost and the backpressure would be critical but there is flow and a gain could be had. I started playing with 2 strokes in 1976 and with turbos in 1985 but have never put them together. As for the reeds, not a problem. they just act as a check valve to assure one way flow into the crankcase. If the turbo has more boost than the crankcase compression they will stay open and the turbo will blow through like a 6-71 2stroke diesel. No problem.

Steve

ok yeah makes sense i guess, it only going to be going one way with boost, only inward not out i still cant wrap my head around it, id like to see a dyno chart wondering how much it actually gains

like if i put one on my 2005 kx250..... i wonder how much it would make a difference, and if it wasnt on a sled, and it spooled like a turbo does on anything else, i think you would have to have a variable speed clutch/belt drive system to keep up with it, cause like on my bike u have to shift fast anyway much less with more power and RPM's coming into play