turbocharging a blaster sounds crazy but maybe possible??

98mod

Feb 15, 2016
texas
I was messing around on the internet and stumbled upon small turbos for motorcycles snowmobiles exc. I was thinking of the possibility of plumbing one which would take too much. Only thing is the blasters are reed valve. I was thinking of finding a donor cage and finding the right thickness sheet metal to make stiffer reeds for the high back pressure to handle maybe 1-3lbs of boost without flying backwards out the carb. They will open from forced induction,and making shure the cylinder pressure is right low enought compression to handle without making it explode and removing my legs like a gernade. Maybe bore and iron sleeve the cylinder, Of course forged piston maybe custom forged or iron rings machine the piston to accept thicker rings and some way to keep crank case, seals excetra not failing. Find a thicker casting head exc I remember seeing a reed cage one time with metal reeds installed and wonder maybe just maybe this is a possibility. Using the oil pump to oil the small turbo and just mixing in tank for piston itself. I found a old blaster for 100$ I'm thinking of using it as a guinie pig. Doe anyone have a opinion on this idea if so let me know. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: jamie duncan
My main concerns would be proper jet sizes to maintain proper air fuel ratio. Makw shure the turbo can spool up fast enough to keep up with the 2 stroke ,Reeds not collapsing. proper cylinder pressure and good cooling like a yz250 radiator or something of the sort with good cfm output fans that don't max above the 55w stator capacity to cool the air charge and possibly cool the head maybe. I don't know, it's alot of idea. Getting them t ogeather and to function is the hard part...but maybe not that hard to do.

Last edited:
So it has been done on a banshee. Good news. Is there any info on the locations the put the rings and prepped the cases thanks.

I think anything is possible but it would probably take a lot of knowledge maybe a small turbo from a small tractor could work. But I'm not sure of the flow of the oil pump and how fast it pumps oil and a return line. Would def be cool to see if someone could get it to work.

That's what I was thinking . I found some small turbos for motorcycles snowmobiles and they said they fit some atv. The 2strokes rev so fast an like you were sayin g it will have to keep up and boost on time.oiling for the turbo and see if the turbos bearings can run on 2 stroke oil. I can either mount on the front where the exaust bolts to cylinder or where the header meets exaust and plumb the dump valve though spark arrestor for a shorter trace to carb ext. Just depends on flow pressure at the junction or what not. I'm going to research more on the blaster itself intake cfm's exaust exc and look at a few turbos to match. I will post what I find out and cost of doing it. The junction of exaust won't work have to cool air charge before going though carb like the blow through apps on 383's . Not thinking straight today lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zbskater400
That's what I was thinking . I found some small turbos for motorcycles snowmobiles and they said they fit some atv. The 2strokes rev so fast an like you were sayin g it will have to keep up and boost on time.oiling for the turbo and see if the turbos bearings can run on 2 stroke oil. I can either mount on the front where the exaust bolts to cylinder or where the header meets exaust and plumb the dump valve though spark arrestor for a shorter trace to carb ext. Just depends on flow pressure at the junction or what not. I'm going to research more on the blaster itself intake cfm's exaust exc and look at a few turbos to match. I will post what I find out and cost of doing it. The junction of exaust won't work have to cool air charge before going though carb like the blow through apps on 383's . Not thinking straight today lol.
Awesome! I'll be tuned in

Were you looking at this Yanmar mini turbo?
73fd_12.JPG

You can lots of things for these!

Here are some links with more info. Hope this helps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-QUAD-RHINO-Turbo-BIKE-SEADOO-Small-IHI-RHB31/401036119269?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20131003150253&meid=9c6d78ec25dd4758a1e44cfc645ee25f&pid=100034&rk=3&rkt=8&sd=222010013406

In the link below you'll also fined a "closed loop" fuel injection system that works well with the turbo!
http://www.ecotrons.com/products/small_engine_rhb31_vz21_turbocharger/

Reactions: Larry's Shee
I didn't see that one but will look into it i was reading on the banshee site last night they made one spool up and hit 177mph at around 6.6seconds. There was a guy talking about the jetskis having one. I will definatly check this one out. Thanks

Were you looking at this Yanmar mini turbo?
73fd_12.JPG

You can lots of things for these!

Here are some links with more info. Hope this helps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-QUAD-RHINO-Turbo-BIKE-SEADOO-Small-IHI-RHB31/401036119269?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20131003150253&meid=9c6d78ec25dd4758a1e44cfc645ee25f&pid=100034&rk=3&rkt=8&sd=222010013406

In the link below you'll also fined a "closed loop" fuel injection system that works well with the turbo!
http://www.ecotrons.com/products/small_engine_rhb31_vz21_turbocharger/

Cute little bugger. Saw same or similar on a 4cyl diesel firewood processing machine. Thought at the time it was pretty cool.

Na, it was at a outdoor power equipment dealer in Mio, Mi. about 160 miles away. Where I ride at.
Slick rig though. Load 8' logs on gravity ramp, hydro chain saw cut length, piece dropped down, hydro RAM pushed it through splitting wedges, pieces dropped onto convyer that piled it up.
Caveman can't link on tablet :( Google Dyna firewood processor.

I was talking to a buddy and he suggested a old dixiechopper lawnmower or a small 1.0 pontiac with the small turbo. I'm going to be research in for a while and make shure the all around specs for oiling cfms and pressures are correct before attempting including cost and benifit. Its looking possible for not much more than couple hundred if that