Tri-Z or not?

nathanastone

Jan 30, 2010
South Carolina
I want a new toy this spring. I want something off the wall. I want a sweet ass 3 wheeler b/c you just don't see them that often. Anyone ridden a Tri-Z or any equivalent trike and what did you think of it? It looks like they go for $1000-$1800 depending on condition. And skip the death trap thing. I know they aren't stable like a 4 wheeler just want some opinions. Thanks.

2m81p92.jpg

I love 'em too. 4cfed has a b/a 250r. I have him to thank for the sudden obsession. Thanks, fed. lol And almost every one I've looked at on CL is in EXCELLENT shape for $1800 or less.

tri z's are nice but have there issues... sinze the tank is under the seat they use a fuel pump and are known to have problems with that.. a tri zinger tank ( kids trike) will solf that problem... for 1000-1800 you can get a really nice water cooled 250r trike.. 85-86 still a huge after market for them, and there cheaper for parts than the tri z's

honestly im more comfortable on my trike than i am on my 400ex..

i stil lwanna get a kxt 250 kawi tecate 3... been a few poppin up around here for cheap in nice shape..

your options for cool old trikes are... honda atc 200x ( iv owned a few and loved them) atc 350x 350cc 4 stroke.. fastmachine and tons of torque!!! honda atc250r.. enough said.. yammy tri z, and kawi tecate 3.. anyone will make you happy... the 200x is under powered but i pipe helps there kinda like a blaster.. small and easy to toss around..

i have a 82 250r and i love it.. i took it out for a ride today... not the fastest machine out there but for aair cooled beast she rips and will throttle wheelie in 5th :)

Props on the Tecate. I looked at some of them too. They are $500-$600 cheaper for the same condition/mods/year as a Tri-Z. I found a couple very clean Tecate's on craiglook. I think I wanna go 2 stroke with whichever one I get.

Sweet. Yeah, def getting a trike this summer. I wanna be the only fool in the riding group rockin' 3 wheels and still be leaving most of them in the dust. Those vids were sweet. Did I see an old-school big red in the 2nd video? lol. That even looked fun.

granted iv mostly owned honda's but im not trying to be brand loyal just tellin ya the truth.. a honda 250r is more bang for the buck..

more parts, more reliable, more aftermarket. and there just silly fast.. unless you have rode one you just cant compair it to anything... just look at the vids on youtube of atc250rs beat on banshee's on the ice

ive had a tri z, i always wanted one when i was realy young. i had the 5 speed [ the yelow and black one] the red and white are the later 6 speed ones. they are very quick and will spin right into top on most surfaces, if mine wasnt spinning it was wheelying, simple as that. i grew up running trikes so they are easy for me to ride, they arent meant to be stable thats a misconception. if you turn you do it one of two ways, slide and turn in [very easy on a triz] or you go on two wheels [ again very easy as they dont have a diff] stick to this and you will be fine. this is the biggest problem with newbs on trikes, you automatically think OH sh*t! when you try to turn and its realy stiff to turn the bars next thing you give them a god yank and the inside rear wheel hops up off the deck. like i said slide it or let it pop up on two and you will be ok. i blew mine up and had to sell it as i couldnt afford to keep it, ive promised myself ill get another one day though.
I:I

i like the honda big reds/ atc's but thats just my opinion... I dont know much about the tri z's except that the rims work on a blaster.

Of the three water cooled racers, Tri-Z would be my last choice. Not that it's a bad machine, but they have fuel pump and electrical issues. They're also the slowest of the the three. Obviously the Water pumper R would be number one choice, but you pay more. The Tecate imo would be the one to look for. 84-85. Yeah, they are butt ugly, but they are monsters, and have very unique (in a good way) handling. The 86-87 Tecate is overall a better machine, but parts are an issue with them. Also, with the tecate, you keep that rarity that comes with the Tri-z in a better package. All my opinion of course.