transformation?

speedfreak

Feb 19, 2014
ironton MO
got the blaster all lined out. got a leak test done and it didnt sit at high pressure so i re torqued the head and tested it again and it was good. everything seems to be straight engine wise, and now of course i wanna redo the color, paint, decals, shocks everything. its painted black with yellow lines, and shocks and i dont really care much for it. im thinkin black on red. i was lookin threw some post and seen one where the frame/A arms were painted red and it really looked good. whats the best way to paint the frame, hubs, A arms, and other stuff? im planning on keeping the plastics black and adding a graphic kit. never painted a qaud before and dont know where to start

Powder coat would be the best. Except its not easy to do stock a-arms (they have plastic inserts)

Otherwise if you can it, do good prep work

got the blaster all lined out. got a leak test done and it didnt sit at high pressure so i re torqued the head and tested it again and it was good.
Did you use a new gasket and did you check the head for warpage?

If you had the head down to the correct tension [ 20 ft lbs ] it should not leak at all.

i didnt get a new gasket, i dropped it off at a good freind of mines place and he said it was still good and it was slightly warped and he torqued it down and it doesnt leak at all now. and about how much is powder coating gonna run me dont have to much $$$ to spare

i prefer using "airplane stripper" from any good autoparts store over sanding the frame down for days and days.
couple hours with the stripper and a pressure washer and your ready for primer and paint.
remember, less is more with paint.
multiple, multiple coats of paint will chip off easier than a few light coats, just enuf to cover fully.

i didnt get a new gasket, i dropped it off at a good freind of mines place and he said it was still good and it was slightly warped and he torqued it down and it doesnt leak at all now. and about how much is powder coating gonna run me dont have to much $$$ to spare
If the old gasket was not annealed prior to re using, be prepared for it to leak during or after the heat cycles!

An old gasket cannot be conditioned if not annealed to make it squishable during the expansion and contraction periods.

Fitting a warped head, even with a new gasket is a recipe for disaster. What did your friend tension the head down to, 20 ft lbs I hope.

You may find this strange but if you wrap a layer of aluminium kitchen foil over the stripper it will stop the solvents evaporating and will bite deeper into the old paint.

If you are using a spray gun get slow reducer. This will allow allow overspray from the closest tube blend/melt into furtest tube. Slower dry time.