Trans question

Aug 22, 2010
ROC ny
Ok so I just picked up a 96 blaster for 500. Guy told me he put a new bottom end in, new stock jug, piston and rings. motor was back in frame when I got it that's it. So I went to put the shift lever back on and it's not shifting correctly. 1 down neutral goes to 2nd then it jumps back to first when I try and shift up to third. I plan on splitting the cases tomorrow to get to the trans and see what the deal is. will I need a special tool to split the cases, and how involved is this project. I'm gunna search through the threads now just wanted to see from someone who has experience doing this

^^ above along with an impact screw driver, a steering wheel puller or case splitter, If you don't have any ?
then order some yamabond/case bond for reinstalling the cases. I am also going to highly recommend a ss allen head bolt set for the cases. Much better and easier to torque the case bolts with when you reinstall..

There are plenty of vids you can watch and good info on this matter if you look around.

Might pay to do a little diagnostic under clutch cover on the external shift mechinism. Might save you from splitting the cases and still have the problem.
Wouldn't hurt to do a leakdown test before you split them, might find problem that needs to be addressed while it's apart.