Top end tear down

Mr fix it

Nov 23, 2019
Texas
Well, right off the bat I found the reeds looking like they done got drunk and falling all over the place. I tried to post a picture but the server cant handle it. They was just hanging around trying to see what's up..hahaha, not them. This is the very first rebuild I've ever done and I'm taking plenty of pictures In case someone can tell me how to shrink the photo to an smaller size... OH, I did a compression test before I remo ed the motor, barley had 20-30 lbs. I dont ha e the stuff to do a leakdo . Test so I just kept on going.

Well, right off the bat I found the reeds looking like they done got drunk and falling all over the place. I tried to post a picture but the server cant handle it. They was just hanging around trying to see what's up..hahaha, not them. This is the very first rebuild I've ever done and I'm taking plenty of pictures In case someone can tell me how to shrink the photo to an smaller size... OH, I did a compression test before I remo ed the motor, barley had 20-30 lbs. I dont ha e the stuff to do a leakdo . Test so I just kept on going.
Make sure engine is clean before disassembly.Do you have a repair manual? Just put nuts bolts and parts in ziplock bags. And label them for each section you remove. Like broken reeds:D and bolts in one bag. Makes assembly easy cause your not searching for parts. Also don't forget to put rags or something around crank area before
Trying to remove wristpin retainer so clip doesn't fall in crank area

Last edited:
Make sure if you get a cheaper top-end kit, clean and debur the ports.

It's a good idea anyways to check over your cylinder jug if you're reusing it. Look for any scoring or heat marks.

If you're replacing it, check for burs or irregularity in the cross-hatching.

Best of luck and keep us posted!