Threaded shaft for the kickstart

Brian C

Dec 27, 2016
Hello,

Just found this forum. New here but I belong to many message boards on several different topics. Bands, pop up campers, etc.

Just purchased a 2006 Special Edition Blaster for my 14 yr old son for a grand. It needs a little TLC and new plastic. The previous owner kept it in pretty decent condition. I've had a 95 Warrior for 15 years, so I'm definitely a fan on Yamaha. I'm about to purchase a Grizzly with a plow if the guy will come down on the price a little.

I gave it a once through and found a few small issues. First thing I need is a new threaded shaft for the kickstart. The splines are ok for the Kickstart arm but there's no nut to keep it from falling off. The threads for the lock nut are stripped. Not sure if a thread chaser would be better than replacing it.

I'll look around and repost this in the appropriate thread.

i guess it depends on how much you want to spend to fix it?
tap and die set?
shop fixing threads for free? i have done it at a local shop for free not on a kick starter but a axle shaft.
new parts?

Could you drill hole into the end of the shaft where it has the center punch hole already in it and thread it and install a bolt with washer / spacer to hold the kick starter lever on. I know some bikes have it this way.

s-l1600.jpg

Or just buy a complete kick starter shaft kit of ebay. lots on there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Awk08
Buy a new kick start shaft/gear and replace it or if you want (not ideal but works) you can put a few tack welds on the outside of the kicker and the shaft to hold it in place. Note: the kicker shaft/gear will be junk if you ever take it apart and will need replaced then. If you buy a new gear and go that route you will need a new clutch cover gasket also.

Reactions: Markblaster
Tack welding is a option. I had my dad do it on the gear shifter on my AG100 back in the day when I was little and it stripped the spline on the shaft. Was a good temporary fix for a weekend ride.