Thermostat Help

burndout

Jan 23, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Been working on my Ninja Warrior (warrior with ninja 500 twin) and ran into an issue today, the stock 500 thermo mounts at an odd angle. Anyone know where I can pick up a thermo that is small and has a clean mounting area? I'm looking for something with a flat side that can be bolted on to a flat area. Thanks!

I presume the Nija hose points the wrong way for what you need? Can't picture what you have or need. Take the thermo housing off, go to local pick&pull auto junk yard and start looking. Or if you have a motorcycle yard look there. Worse case is custom fab.

Modification Engineering.

The hoses I can deal with, I plan on having the thermo up by the stem under the plastics with just the filler sticking through, problem is the mounting bolts, in the pic below you can see that they are off center of each other and at an upward angle (or downward depending on which side it gets mounted). I would like to use both mounting points to keep stress low for when you press the cap to release. Im very limited on fabbing right now, just able to cut, bent and bolt as I dont have a Mig yet. I know most cars bolt directly into the intake some Im not sure where to start looking?
thermo.jpg

Only thing I know is the cap has to be highest point in the system. I can't figure that three hoses. Gonna take custom fabrication, modification engineering, or a presidential solution. Presume the two mounts aren't in same plane? Make an offset bracket, "Z"

You ever have those moments when you way over think something and spend too much time working on it? Had that moment yesterday and got the thermo mounted in about 30 minutes. Thanks for the input though, sometimes just need something to job the creative juices!

its kinda funny how easy it was, between the stem bracket and the plastics where the tank use to be was just about perfect. I went down to Lowe's to check out the bare metal they sold and pick up some 1.5" wide bar strap. It was wide enough to catch both holes and then I just angled it where it would weld to the stem braket. It does push the plastic out a little but cant tell once all the plastics are bolted in. Near where the old key went I did need to cut a hole so the overflow tube and some of the cap could stick out but its not too noticable. The goal is to keep the bike looking as much stock as possible so stock plastics are a big thing so me, dont want it to look like it was just thrown together. Ill get some pics up tomorrow as today was a ROUGH day. Father inlaw had an acute ( if there is such a thing ) heart attack but is doing well and was released from the Hospital just a few hours ago, no work on the bike today.

Well I didnt like the setup I had yesterday so I re-did it today with a new game plan, I couldnt seem to stick with anything until now, here are some pics!
thermofront.jpg

thermoplasticsfront.jpg