Stripped reed screw !! Fml

blasterbrian

Mar 17, 2016
I just put 2 new gaskets on my vf4s along with yamabond, i didn't realize that one of my screws were stripped now the hole is where it was 3 screws in ones stripped any ideas my jets are suppose to be here tuesday so i can break in my new parts ive put on and plug chop but im fairly certain this will cause a major air leak and my tester broke but bike was good few months ago and i just swapped head exhaust and reed gaskets so im fairly certain i should still be good

With what you've invested at least do a leak down test.
Presume you mean 4 screws that hold reeds and carb boot to cylinder?
Drill/tap to next larger size, even if SAE bolt. Helicoil or thread sert.

Reactions: HawaiianBassHed
Problem is i already yamabonded the 2 gaskets before i realized and i dont wanna buy new ones took a week to get them and cost 15 bucks each

Its an m6 bolt on the reeds right or m3 ?

Attachments

• 5c2146ac.jpg
    5c2146ac.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 269
I did this on a yz 80 , simply drilled and tapped to the next size and it worked like new , but I tested it before with the one stripped screw and it did have an air leak even tho it was held down pretty well with the other three screws so that would probably cause a slight air leak so I wouldn’t run it .

I was gonna tey to retap it same size then if it didnt clean it up, move up just dont wanna drill threw my reeds and boot lol

Last edited:
I have one stripped, as Larry mentioned above, 7/16" sae bolt did the trick

Reactions: blasterbrian
I don't want an air leak lunch box lol and thank you awk that is what i will do riding season right around the corner here said like 2 - 3 weeks and its gonna be warm up here

Reactions: Awk08
I may be old fashioned, but any gasket I might have to save on disassembly I like to use Permatex #2 , non hardening

This I can see doing, and let it set up overnight before riding.

Unno i did what ken o connor did in vids

Ah, gotcha. Does the yamabond set up hard or stay flexible? I’ve never used it. I’ve used tons of the permatex mentioned above on various engine builds over the years. Those are all car engines though. I’ve never had to work on a 2 stroke or split a case until now.

No mine stays rubbery lol its yamabond4 but you will wanna try it anyway if splitting case unless your getting case bond

Buying taps and bolt and washer today are you 100 percent its 7/16 not 7/32 not to question you was just looking at size of taps online i know i will know better after i pick it up just would have to go back for a bolt lol maybe ill just grab a few

I'm not sure what bolt.
Now that you made me think harder :rolleyes: the socket size is 7/16, not the bolt ?
I took the OEM metric bolt to Fastenal and asked for the next size bigger SAE bolt and tap.
You should do the same.

Reactions: blasterbrian
I think its a 1/4 tap i wanna go with which is 6.4 mm what do you think the old men at the hard ware store said he wasnt sure