Stock Intake boot stumped?

Racer51

May 19, 2011
Northwest Ohio
Hey you guys that have oversized carbs do you know any way to make it easier to get my stock air boot onto my 30oko carb? cause I tried for like an hour and all I got was a cut hand, a pinched finger and, hurt pride on something so simplistic and I cant even remember how I got it on. My air boot is uncut and or torn so dont worry about that. So what do I do thanks

Find something same size as carb, or slightly larger , heat boot in hot water, slide over whatever you found , let cool. boot will be permantly stretched

Last edited by a moderator:
your talking about the air filter side? its tight.. i have dremeled the outide of the carb before to make it go on easier. i also took some big pliers and opened up the rubber a little to make it more plyable. sometimes taking the boot off then putting it on the carb helps. then when you do main jet changes you dont want to remove the whole carb but just turn it to the side since the oko has a 17mm nut on the bottom. this will keep you from having to remove and install the boot because it is a pain to get on.

I'd tell you what I did but you can't laugh. I heated it with a heat gun then fitted over my 2" trailer ball! I sprayed a little silicone on the ball, heated it for a few then slid it on to the middle. Let it cool for a few, pulled it off, slid it on slick as butter. I've also heard the same trick with a beer bottle???

I'd tell you what I did but you can't laugh. I heated it with a heat gun then fitted over my 2" trailer ball! I sprayed a little silicone on the ball, heated it for a few then slid it on to the middle. Let it cool for a few, pulled it off, slid it on slick as butter. I've also heard the same trick with a beer bottle???

I:I Ain't nothing laughable about that....well, maybe because you didn't finish the beer first and use that, but we all don't slam a good tasting brew. I like the heat gun trick over the dremeling and cutting. That deserves some green, it's safe and effective. Kudos brother. B)

I tryied heating mine. Didn't want to work for me. I had to reheat it every time I took it off to put it back on. Run a little dish detergent around the inside of the tube.

the stretching it with pliers sounds the easiest and the stretching it with something similar sounds the most reasonable, sounds the best.

brandonz28 yes air filter side. yep I took it off it's like those that you find on pool filters that have notches in them and a screw inside that turns and loosens so I can take it off put the boot on and put it back over ok. :)

Thanks guys I dident expect this many responces this fast.I'll go do that and tell ya later how it goes.

I tried the hot water thing, no good. Tried the beer bottle thing, no good cause of the taper on a corona is too much. So, I drank it, looked around the garage and saw my trucks receiver and thought 'hey, that'll work' now get another beer and try it! True story! It worked great and I even swapped back to my stock carb while I'm waiting for parts, heat it back up and let it cool down on its own. Shrunk back to the same stock size. The boot material is a good high memory plastic so when I get ready to throw the 28mm back on, I'll do it all over again except maybe one more beer!!! Thanks for the green homie!!!

I used a dremel and took some off on the inside, it went onto my keihin 34mm PJ with no problems, I wouldn't Remove any material from the outside of your carb as stated above... But whatever floats your boat & I guess if it works for you then it's all good! That heating trick sounds cool I would try that before you go an remove any material from the boot ID

Thanks guys I dident expect this many responces this fast.I'll go do that and tell ya later how it goes

That's one of the great thinks about this forum. You don't have to wait days for an answer .

I tried the hot water thing, no good. Tried the beer bottle thing, no good cause of the taper on a corona is too much. So, I drank it, looked around the garage and saw my trucks receiver and thought 'hey, that'll work' now get another beer and try it! True story! It worked great and I even swapped back to my stock carb while I'm waiting for parts, heat it back up and let it cool down on its own. Shrunk back to the same stock size. The boot material is a good high memory plastic so when I get ready to throw the 28mm back on, I'll do it all over again except maybe one more beer!!! Thanks for the green homie!!!

Well, first problem is it was a Corona. My next concern, did you put fruit in it? :eek: Please tell me know. LOL.

Thanks guys I dident expect this many responces this fast.I'll go do that and tell ya later how it goes

That's one of the great thinks about this forum. You don't have to wait days for an answer .

That's not always true. I've posted something and waited 2 days and them bumped it before getting a response. It depends on when ya post, they clear the new posts randomly.

Not a fan of corona huh? Sitting on the beach lounging in the sun isn't the same with a PBR!!! Lol

Nah, I am more of a rum and bourbon fan. You can drink them out of a more "sophisticated" container and still retain your "country boy perspective"...afterall, everyone knows country boys drink the hard stuff to party, and the beer to sober up for the drive home. I:I

go to harbor freight tools and pick up a exhaust pipe expander , its the best for this job , they have them in several sizes and it works great . Larry's trick of boiling some water to get it pliable is perfect , but don't bring the boot to a boil with it , pour the boiling water on it in a bowl . Wait about a minute and pull it out and insert the expander and crank it open a few turns , then let it cool . Its best to expand it slowly , several times to get the opening you need , otherwise you risnk splitting it if you go too far too fast . Good Luck!

Ok, yOu win, rum and coke then!!

Not a matter of winning or losing, I:I, just a matter of figuring why Corona bottle wouldn't work. Of course, i'm pretty sure a 151 bottle or Captain bottle would maybe be a bit much....fun as hell to empty though!! :D