Stock exhaust, what is this?

sjwh

Oct 29, 2013
I took the end cap off my stock blaster exhaust pipe just to see what is inside, there seems to be a sort of "turbine" type thing in it.
Note, this thing is welded in and does not turn, also, it may not be clear from the picture but it is not open in the middle.
In other word the only way for exhaust gasses to escape is by flowing between the "blades".
I guess this is a type of spark arrestor.

Anyway, it's quite a long way in, about 8 or 10 inches from memory, looks quite restrictive to me and I'm planning on removing it with a suitably sized hole saw, is there any reason why I shouldn't do this?
DSC_0012.jpg

Why waste your time? Just replace the exhaust with a quality aftermarket system like DMC, FMF, Toomey,etc
They're all good.

It would take about 2 minutes to remove it, and do I plan on getting a decent aftermarket pipe but don't have the cash at the moment. Also i'm in the UK, aftermarket parts are very expensive here.

The way I see it, it looks like it would restrict flow.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it, but what is it for? is it a type of spark arrestor or is it there to keep it quiet?

I'll be removing it at the weekend, I'll post here to let anyone who's interested (lol) know if it's any louder, quieter or whatever.

I guess it could act as a spark arrestor. But it's real job is that it's basically supposed to add turbulence to the exhaust so it diffuses in to the atmosphere better. And let's be honest: if we cared about the environment we'd be riding 4 strokes.

Reactions: sjwh
Thanks Waffle429 for the helpful replies.
It's much more difficult to actually try to answer the question rather than spout the "don't question it, just replace it" mantra that seems popular here.

Thanks Waffle429 for the helpful replies.
It's much more difficult to actually try to answer the question rather than spout the "don't question it, just replace it" mantra that seems popular here.

I disagree with that statement. As far as forums go, you will not find another one that offers more informative answers than this one. The posters advised you to buy an aftermarket system because it is the best option. After you said you were tight on cash you started to get advice on how to modify the stock one.

I have never opened up the stock exhaust. I am interested in what it does when you remove it. I would check jetting as it could allow the stock exhaust to flow better. Make sure you get it all out and post pics and ride report.

Reactions: tfaith08
It is restrictive, if you remove it you should aware that the jetting at have to be changed.

If you open the whole header you will also find dampening material designed to help diffuse to sound. This can sometimes break free and block the system.

Bear in mind that the Blaster was marketed as an entry level unit aimed at the younger generation.

Last edited:
I have never done a comparison between a stock pipe and a stock with its guts removed, would be very interested in the ride report.

I don't know, but I swear we need to convince someone that this mechanism actually exists. We'd have some poor cat losing his sh*t over trying to find his fuel pump for his turbine housing.

"Check compression, leak test it, plug chop, check turbine bearings and fuel flow"

"Yada yada, compression was at 17psi, leak test held pressure for 6 seconds, plug was melted and the insulator was glowing red, but I have no clue where my turbine is"