Spray painting questions

Prep good. Go thru the levels of sand paper. I stopped with mine at 400 grit. Then clean the sanding dust with mineral spirits. Prime them with one or two coats. Then sand again a little bit. Top coat with at least two coats. Then clear coat them with a few coats.

Here's mine that I did today actually. Primered and then painted black. Still need to be cleared yet. I think they turned out amazing, so shiny. I:I

SANY0212.jpg

SANY0216.jpg

What i like to do it completely strip it with aircraft stripper (just so its perfect and like new again) then scruff it up with some 500 grit sandpaper. A LIGHT coat of primer, let it sit for an hour, then another coat, a little heavier this time but not all the way covered. Let that coat sit for an hour then 2 good coats of primer waiting 15 minutes before each spray. Let it dry overnight then scruff it lightly with some steel wool, and then wash them down so you get all the crap off them. Light coats of paint, same as the primer steps only lay down a few good coat of paint ( i like doing 6-7) then let it dry for a day or two, the clear it the same as you did with the paint. Good luck with it!

I painted mine black, all i did was go over the rims real fast with 160 grit sand paper. The i gave it about two coats of black spray. I haven't had any problems with it.
No offense to the other guys but the way they did it seems like overkill to me. I mean i'm sure its going to hold up a hell of alot better than mine. But mine has been through mud, dirt, rocks, grass and pretty much anything else you can throw at it and the paint has help up fine.

I painted mine black, all i did was go over the rims real fast with 160 grit sand paper. The i gave it about two coats of black spray. I haven't had any problems with it.
No offense to the other guys but the way they did it seems like overkill to me. I mean i'm sure its going to hold up a hell of alot better than mine. But mine has been through mud, dirt, rocks, grass and pretty much anything else you can throw at it and the paint has help up fine.

I dont count it as overkill at all really. Everyone does everything different and thats cool I:I Im not saying your way is wrong or whatever but my theory is, if your going to spend the time and money to do it, do it right the first time.

I dont count it as overkill at all really. Everyone does everything different and thats cool I:I Im not saying your way is wrong or whatever but my theory is, if your going to spend the time and money to do it, do it right the first time.

Oh no i completely understand where your coming from. I just had extra paint laying around and deiced to try painting the rims. i didn't expect them to hold up as well as they are.I:I

alright heres wat i did.

i cleaned em really good with Fast Orange hand cleaner. (it feels like it has sand in it)

then i washed my plastics off with water. i made sure i got all the gritty stuff off. i let sun dry.
i could visible see the millons of fine scratches the hand cleaner made in my plastics.
and then i just sprayed 3 or 4 light coats. when u start going into heavy coats the start to crack. this is the spray i used.
i sprayed my seat and my plastics with OUTSTANDING results. the only spots where i have paint comin off is my back fenders and thats cuz i rolled it on some rocks. and the only reason the paint is coming off is cuz the rocks gouged my plastics.

-i sanded my rims down with 220 grit paper removina all rust and blemishes.
then i wipped all of them down with denatured alcohol
after that i sparyed them with a rustolium flast black about 6 light coats
let all of that dry and after that coat them with about 6 or 7 coats of clear this will ensure that you should noty have any chipping or blemishes
you can sand between coats if you like and feel the need to but i did not have too