spray painting in the winter??

rtaylor15

Apr 14, 2010
Edmonton, Ab
I'm just curious how everyone paints during the colder months?? i was thinking in the basement if i open up the little window thats down there but the guy at the paint shop told me not to cuz of the furnace being down there and my garage isn't heated or insulated. do i have to wait until its warmer or is there anything you guys can think of so i can paint now??

that's one thing i hated about alaska. where i was the snow sucked you couldn't even make snow balls or snowmen or nothin. bein from florida, when i got there i imediately wanted to hit my bro in the face with a snow ball and it was like tryin to compact dry sand together. and the slopes up there were always hard as a rock. It didn't snow much in fairbanks so they made snow and it was more like ice hurt like a biotch when you wiped out

yea i dont know anyone who has a heated garage i guess i will have to wait for a couple more months b4 i can start the painting, frigging alberta winters!!

just do it in the living room lol. you could do it in the basement if you make yourself a spray booth out of visqueen. use some 2x4's to prop it up to the cealing then tape it to hold the fumes in. make sure you do it with one of those windows inside the booth. maybe even put a fan blowin out the window somehow. I'm probably gonna do this in my garage just so i don't get overspray everywhere.

I'm just curious how everyone paints during the colder months?? i was thinking in the basement if i open up the little window thats down there but the guy at the paint shop told me not to cuz of the furnace being down there and my garage isn't heated or insulated. do i have to wait until its warmer or is there anything you guys can think of so i can paint now??

if u get a heater and lave it in you garage 4 a bit and put the parts u want 2 paint in front of the heater as well u should be able to paint them

In order for your paint to actually look good and hold up your going to have to wait till 70* weather. If your going to attempt to paint in the cold, your parts are going to look like sh*t, and chances are, the paint wont even stick. Find a powder coater. Problem solved.

i looked around for a powder coater and it will be 450 for the frame if i do all the prep work, 50 for a-arms and 100 for the swingarm and then would do the couple small things for free if i got everything else done. i just dont have like 550-600 for it to get done or i would have it there already. i pretty much have everything preped already.

if i have to wait til nice weather thats what ima do, iv put to much work into the prep to have it look like sh*t just though maybe there was something i didnt think of or didnt know about that could make it so i could paint it now

gd point,never even though of that when i asked the guy for a quote. either way not getting it done as it is just way to expensive!!

i would just plastic off a section in the basement and paint in there.....if u do a little at a time it will be no prob...just dont spray bomb the whole the basement full of fumes and ur house should remain intact lol

get a decent space heater for ur garage and do a little at a time. thats what im going to do make a little spot with something to stop overspray and let sit in the warmth for the day, just make sure u have somewhat ventilation, lol, like leave the g door cracked