Shocks for ASR +3+1 LT arms

Pankz

Mar 9, 2017
California
Maybe someone can help clear things up for me. I've read through the entire site and things are still a little muddled.

I have the ASR +3+1 LONG TRAVEL arms. ASR says they should mate with a 16.5" shock. I have read in more than one place that a Honda trx450r shock works...so I bought a set. These shocks have the rezzies on the side though and they won't clear the upper arm on shock compression :( Guess I will be selling these.

I'm looking at some yfz450 shock lengths and this is what I've found.

Yfz450 shocks measure 15.75. Is this a bit short? I do not want to lower my ride height as this will mostly be a trail machine.

Yfz450x shocks measure 16.75, but not very common and hard to find used.

Yfz450r shocks measure 18.5. Will these work? I thought I read some have installed these with success but unable to verify that again. If they won't simply bolt up, could the upper mount be raised to accommodate them? This would make the shock more vertical and stiffer though right?

All thoughts and experiences welcomed. Photos would really be great as I don't want to purchase the wrong set again

2008 Yamaha Raptor 700 front shocks on the front of my ASR +3 +1 long travels.

I wouldn't go any longer then 16.5" as you will run into problems with things hitting. I think I posted photos of clearances on here some where.

I have said this before but why spend money on good lt a-arms and then plan to buy stock shocks? My suggestion is to call elka, works, fox etc and get a quote for a correct 16.5 inch length shock valved to your weight and the machines weight.

Reactions: Pankz
2008 Yamaha Raptor 700 front shocks on the front of my ASR +3 +1 long travels.

I wouldn't go any longer then 16.5" as you will run into problems with things hitting. I think I posted photos of clearances on here some where.
Perfect Mark. I did see you used the raptor shocks after my post yesterday. I wanted to go for the yfz shocks if possible, as I read many raptor guys upgrade to them.

I mostly wasn't sure whether to go for a 15.75 or a 16.75 shock. The fact that you mentioned the clearances were so tight really made me lean toward the shorter yfz shocks. I bought a set so well see how things play.

Thanks again!

I have said this before but why spend money on good lt a-arms and then plan to buy stock shocks? My suggestion is to call elka, works, fox etc and get a quote for a correct 16.5 inch length shock valved to your weight and the machines weight.
I do realize this is the ideal scenario, however I do not currently have 1-2k to spend on a set of front shocks for my wifes rec bike :) Should we decide were not happy, I do know this is the answer. Maybe in the near future

I appreciate the advise though, thanks man!

Reactions: Markblaster
Hate to say it but it will not be what you think with some stock raptor shocks on a lt setup. Anyone who has used yfz450 shocks will say the same thing. They may look good but functionality is not so great. In this case a standard travel setup with some used works or elkas would be better. Especially since you bought great a-arms but can't/won't spend a few $ on shocks even after buying a wrong set. Also not trying to diss mark here but he never rode his shined up queen and sold it before he got to actually ride it enough to know. Just like a dakotademon. Building and putting together a quad is one thing, actually riding it and seeing how it reacts is another. Either way I put my 2 cents in and based on years of experience with both setups and lots of seat time.

Reactions: 82cutty
Maybe someone can help clear things up for me. I've read through the entire site and things are still a little muddled.

I have the ASR +3+1 LONG TRAVEL arms. ASR says they should mate with a 16.5" shock. I have read in more than one place that a Honda trx450r shock works...so I bought a set. These shocks have the rezzies on the side though and they won't clear the upper arm on shock compression :( Guess I will be selling these.

I'm looking at some yfz450 shock lengths and this is what I've found.

Yfz450 shocks measure 15.75. Is this a bit short? I do not want to lower my ride height as this will mostly be a trail machine.

Yfz450x shocks measure 16.75, but not very common and hard to find used.

Yfz450r shocks measure 18.5. Will these work? I thought I read some have installed these with success but unable to verify that again. If they won't simply bolt up, could the upper mount be raised to accommodate them? This would make the shock more vertical and stiffer though right?

All thoughts and experiences welcomed. Photos would really be great as I don't want to purchase the wrong set again

Hi, I have same a.s.r. arms and have been using Honda Trx 400 ex shocks. Been working great.