sandblaster

hey paulie what did you use to blast the motor a friend told me you shouldnt use sand he told me i needed a soda blaster because sand would pit the aluminum an would i need to take the motor apart or would the seals an all that be ok

I use '000' grade- very fine sand.
Your friend means well but is over cautious.
I could see soda bein a lil easier then sand on metal.
Were not painting coucorse winning show cars here.
I'm not by any means try'in to say I'm the best at painting or PC'in,
but the finish I layed down on both is pretty good lol.
Unless your bud is a seasoned pro with a soda blaster and HVLP paint gun,
I'll put my sandblasted, rattle can work up to his anytime.
The most important thing is to take your time.
Last but not least go price a soda blast unit and the media needed.
Kinda defeats the purpose a lil bit.
I payed $13 for my sandblaster.

where do you get your 000 sand from? do you have a site or anything,i looked on ebay and didnt find any

i bought some black beauty medium grit the other day from a local bagging supply. any body use this before? it seems to work amazing especially comparred to HF's 5lbs of aluminum oxide for like19.99. i paid 11.23 for a 80lb bag.

thats what i wanted to hear thanks, my friend is a lil overly cautious but he has some knowledge too now that i know i can do this the easy way i might have to take the blasty apart again an sand blast it my concern is will i have to take the motor apart or can i do it while its together the topend isnt a problem i just dont want to try an split the cases

i bought some black beauty medium grit the other day from a local bagging supply. any body use this before? it seems to work amazing especially comparred to HF's 5lbs of aluminum oxide for like19.99. i paid 11.23 for a 80lb bag.

I have used black beauty before....a little messy...but works well at cutting off the old material

thats what i wanted to hear thanks, my friend is a lil overly cautious but he has some knowledge too now that i know i can do this the easy way i might have to take the blasty apart again an sand blast it my concern is will i have to take the motor apart or can i do it while its together the topend isnt a problem i just dont want to try an split the cases

Yes....please do not try it assembled. You use sandblast media with 90lbs. air coming from a gun then its gonna rip gasket material off with it. You are gonna get sand in that motor. That would look nice, but run pretty poorly

where do you get your 000 sand from? do you have a site or anything,i looked on ebay and didnt find any

page 4 post #37 of this thread.
PB said:
I buy it from my local welding supplier.
Welders use it to blast metal before they weld for clean welds.
You don't really want to have to order sand.
The shipping would kill you.

I blasted my motor fully built.
I used a rubber plug for the exhaust and 3 balloons on my intake.
Check your ignition wire loom coming from your magneto cover.
If it looks like sand will get in put rtv sealant around it.
The sand will bounce off anything rubber.

IM000653.jpg

you happen to know if the black beauty is good for aluminum? it looks good but i dont want it makin the PC all dark....i hear some sand does that

thanks again paulie your the shizznit lol i think i might have to do this for a winter project
what did you do for the kick starter shaft an shift shaft to keep sand from getting in there

you happen to know if the black beauty is good for aluminum? it looks good but i dont want it makin the PC all dark....i hear some sand does that
I haven't seen this happen.
I would guess it would be because the part wasn't clean enough before the powder was shot.
Now I've only blasted and PC'ed 3 different colors, black, chrome, and mirror yellow.
I want to add that the chrome turned gray after a year.
Probably from UV exposure and all the power washing I do to my Blaster.

DSCF3419.jpg

thanks again paulie your the shizznit lol i think i might have to do this for a winter project
what did you do for the kick starter shaft an shift shaft to keep sand from getting in there
I did nothing but not try and blast directly at the seal.
The factory paint on the 3 different motors I did was pretty weak and came off easy.

is that the chrome in the pic? ive heard people call it a black chrome...cause of course its not REAL chrome and its got like a tint to it. is that pic after it turned gray? or just painted. if so it still looks pretty good to me. i was thinkin of using that but if it turns REAL gray, it'll make the decision easier

Yeah that's it on the swinger freshly done.
It's Eastwood 1 step chrome.
It actually came out way better then I expected- at first.
I have heard that to stop the color change it should have been UV clear coated after I did it.
I also heard that after you clear it- it's not that refective anymore lol
I don't think they have perfected the PC chrome yet.
Here it is after the color change.
P7040012.jpg

wow. ya definetly a big change. still nice though, but at least it'll make one less color option for my parts i drop off this weekend...hmmmm

Yeah that's it on the swinger freshly done.
It's Eastwood 1 step chrome.
It actually came out way better then I expected- at first.
I have heard that to stop the color change it should have been UV clear coated after I did it.
I also heard that after you clear it- it's not that refective anymore lol
I don't think they have perfected the PC chrome yet.
Here it is after the color change.
P7040012.jpg

whats better to shoot the motor with,

40/60Glass bead
160grit Aluminum Oxide
40/60 A.D
20/60 A.D