sandblaster

You have a blast cabinet or what?
Aluminum oxide is too $$$$$ to spray out in the open.
I use 'ooo' grade sand.
It's $5 for 50lbs.

Yeh i gotta cabinet...I have went as far as spraying from a bucket in a cardboard box to collect the media and strain it thru fine wire and reuse it. Just had to wear a full face mask and be sure to not breathe the media with a respirator. Aluminum oxide is more healthier to blast with than regular sand...silicosis is not cool.

DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 92-102

But if you are blasting out in open air...just make sure ya at least wear a respirator and I really don't think you have a chance at silicosis...regular sand can be used, but blasting some aluminum things can also trap sand into the pores of the aluminum and you wonder...what the hell is causing all this dirty looking coating?

Just a few things to be aware of...but if it works for ya...go for it! I was a stickler for being prefect on my coating...if I saw one least little flaw, I stripped and re-coated it.

damn i need a sandblaster. i hate sanding sh*t by hand and it still never looks that clean. would be a good investment as much as i repaint stuff

Yeh i gotta cabinet...I have went as far as spraying from a bucket in a cardboard box to collect the media and strain it thru fine wire and reuse it. Just had to wear a full face mask and be sure to not breathe the media with a respirator. Aluminum oxide is more healthier to blast with than regular sand...silicosis is not cool.

DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 92-102

Good call on bringing up wearing a mask.
It's a must.
One of thses days I'll bite the bullet and get a cabinet.
It's on my wish list for sure lol

I want to add that you have to wipe the parts down with a wax/oil/grease remover after Blasting.
The parts might look clean but there is still dust and dirt on them.
I use a sponge for this- it's lint free.
Here's some blaster stuff I did with the ol' siphon blaster.
DSCF3128.jpg

DSCF3177.jpg

IM000659.jpg

DSCF3070.jpg

Good work man!

I always used iron phosphate before I powder coated...but with wet paint you can do a general thinner wipe down after blowing it off with an air nozzle...but yeh...that grease is annoying when you're painting...especially if you touch it after blasting! If you wanna check and see how much oils come from your hands to metal...blast a little panel and put your fingerprint on it. Check it in a day or two...it will show up!

What issues have you had with it?
I was looking at one from there.

Well first...the light fried on it after having it a week...second...the gloves ripped all to hell in a month....then sand started coming out of screw holes...you would think if you pay some money for a cabinet, it would be built to some degree of craftsmanship? Nah...they are junk. Northern Tool has better one's for a little more, but worth it. I went to Harbor freight store to get replacement gloves, and they said they didn't carry them. So I had some old jeans, ripped part of the pants leg off and clamped it to the glove holes and bought some separate blasting gloves that they did have there.

Yeh...those cabinets are junk...I'd rather blast in the open air!

Plus...I done went thru like 4 Shop Vacs...gotta have a dust collector made for them. You can go to Walmart and buy a cheap shop Vac, but get the dust bags for them and keep it changed very frequently. If not, you will smoke check the hell out of the motor! Sand gets in it and they are goners...

Reactions: Paulie B
I want to add that you have to wipe the parts down with a wax/oil/grease remover after Blasting.
The parts might look clean but there is still dust and dirt on them.
I use a sponge for this- it's lint free.
Here's some blaster stuff I did with the ol' siphon blaster.
DSCF3128.jpg

DSCF3177.jpg

IM000659.jpg

DSCF3070.jpg

holly sh*t dude...if i dont lose my job this week,im gonna send you sh*t to blast..lol

Well first...the light fried on it after having it a week...second...the gloves ripped all to hell in a month....then sand started coming out of screw holes...you would think if you pay some money for a cabinet, it would be built to some degree of craftsmanship? Nah...they are junk. Northern Tool has better one's for a little more, but worth it. I went to Harbor freight store to get replacement gloves, and they said they didn't carry them. So I had some old jeans, ripped part of the pants leg off and clamped it to the glove holes and bought some separate blasting gloves that they did have there.

Yeh...those cabinets are junk...I'd rather blast in the open air!

Plus...I done went thru like 4 Shop Vacs...gotta have a dust collector made for them. You can go to Walmart and buy a cheap shop Vac, but get the dust bags for them and keep it changed very frequently. If not, you will smoke check the hell out of the motor! Sand gets in it and they are goners...
Thanks alot man you jes saved me money and grief!
Rep given

Exactly...

I wouldn't mind repainting mine since I got it apart, but it really has no defects in the paint on it so I'm just gonna clean it up and put it together...

I buy it from my local welding supplier.
Welders use it to blast metal before they weld for clean welds.
You don't really want to have to order sand.
The shipping would kill you.