Rusty Pipe? NO PROBLEM, Cleaning rust with aluminum foil.

Indread

Aug 12, 2012
Maine
I decided to clean up my FMF Fatty expansion chamber today, and figured id make a little video of me doing it. I cleaned this pipe with aluminum foil and water and it came out great I think. The video was shot from my crappy cellphone so I apologize in advance about the quality, also I forgot to mention a couple tips in the video.

The Science of how it works!

Rust is basically oxidized metal or another words metal that has taken on extra oxygen atoms. As heat is generated by the friction of rubbing the aluminum foil on the metal, a portion of the aluminum will oxidize to produce aluminum oxide. Aluminum has a higher reduction potential (i.e a tendency take on electrons and in the process reduce or break itself down) than the metal, and will therefore leech oxygen atoms away from any rust on the metals surface which changes the chemical properties of the rust and breaks it down.

Aluminum oxide is harder than steel, and the microscopic grains of aluminum oxide produced during the cleaning process creates a fine metal polishing compound which, mixed with the water you added, creates a paste that smoothes and polishes the metal surface.

-Tips

Use a little extra water if you want a super fine finish.

Wad up a larger piece of foil when you work on pitted areas. The edges created will help smooth down the pits.

Don't rub too long with the first 'paste' created. Once the surface feels nice and smooth and you've wiped the gunk off, you can use a new piece of foil with some more water to get as much shine as you like.

Here is a picture of the final product after I applied a little bit of mothers polish.

Some of you already knew about this method im sure, but I hope it at least helps someone out who maybe got a good deal on a rusty pipe.I:I

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Make your pipe shine with stuff from your kitchen

nice DIY vid, looks great !

Last edited:

Awk08, thank you for editing my post to get the video to show up correctly man, I appreciate it.

How does this even work? Is aluminum foil like a 3000 grit sand paper or something...

Watch the video mr.holden :D, aluminum foil, water and friction cause microscopic particles of aluminum oxide which are harder then the pipe. The aluminum oxide also causes a chemical reaction that attacks rust and literally breaks it down and the rust particles bond to the aluminum oxide leaving behind blackish water that is as simple as wiping it off with a dry rag. I hope this crazy science helps someone clean up some rusty metal, this works on just about everything that rusts, CHEERS.

Great post! I love these unconventional solutions to common problems, especially when they are so simple like this. Have some rep!

lets continue this Bill Nie The Science Guy project with another fairly simple solution...electrolysis
use this method for any heavier rust, then the aluminum foil to restore the shine ?

i have never tried this, but looks like it works ...............

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if I'd try it on chrome. This is same basic principle as chromeing except reverse polarity , might pull the chromium right off.

This process does work, maybe if I had a biger battery charger it wouldn't have taken as long. Maybe DC welder? Hmmmmmm

Awk, Thats a pretty good find you linked there! I am so going to try this electrolysis method on an old blaster transmission and crank shaft that got left outside in the elements for over a year. I will probably even make another video of me doing it, hopefully this time I can talk the little lady into filming it for me.

Awk, Thats a pretty good find you linked there! I am so going to try this electrolysis method on an old blaster transmission and crank shaft that got left outside in the elements for over a year. I will probably even make another video of me doing it, hopefully this time I can talk the little lady into filming it for me.

yes I:I
i have inspired more BF member DIY vids !!!

I am going to try this on this rough looking fmf.
IMG_20130119_144451.jpg

How does this work?? And don't tell me to watch the video, because my internet is so slow a youtube video wont even load a second...

After seeing this post I had to try it. It came out great. I used a little metal polish and a buffer to really shine it up. Thanks for the awesome idea.
C71EE55C-6EAF-4B43-B60E-6C5471C24BF1-748-00000196921709D0_zps8010c511.jpg
[/IMG]