Replacing spark plug on 04 blaster

Ashweeb07

Feb 21, 2018
So I'm new to this and I'm pretty sure that its not that hard but I just want some advice. I'm planning to buy an 04 blaster, they say it needs a new spark plug its not running currently. Hasn't been used for a while either. I wondering how hard is it to swap those out? Can I do it at home? Or do I have to take it in?

You can do it at home, its right on top of motor, pull plug boot, unscrew old plug and get a new b8es plug and torque it down to 18ft lbs then put rubber boot back on

Riddle me this ??
A new plug cost $3 , takes 3 minutes to change.
Makes it worth $ HUNDREDS $ more instanly .
Why would someone NOT do it ??

What I am saying is that it probably needs more than a spark plug.
What are they asking for it??
Have any pics ??

I know it will most likely require more, I'm expecting to have to clean the carb out. Make sure the jets aren't clogged all that stuff, it has good compression, the guy took it in regularly for servicing. Besides getting a spark plug I guess my question is in general experience how easy is it to get it to start. They're asking $800 for an 04

Well, not running I'd start at 650. Depends on how bad they want to get rid of it.
It could be a lot of stupid little stuff. Worst case would be a bad CDI.

ONLY way to know if it has good compression is with a tester.

Reactions: Ashweeb07
Yes use a compression tester and tell us the results, id say look over the bottem of the engine cases for cracks before buying it too, there not to hard to get running

Also of anybody knows the socket size for this spark plug that would be appreciated. I know they typically come with a tool bag, wont be getting that in the deal though. Thanks

13/16 socket for spark plug or just buy a spark plug wrench sold at a lot of auto parts store or atv motorcycle store easy as thato_O ngk b8es or br8es spark plug.
also that thing does not need a new plug it is something else more expensive:D
i use one that looks similar to this..there is only so much room under the gas tank lol

spark plug wrench.jpg

motion pro 1 off of rockymountainatv.com:eek:
13/16 or 21mm deep well socket
blaster spark plug tool.jpg

Last edited:
Or you can get a socket set that comes with them, i recommend running a b8es plug not br8es but br8es will work

13/16 socket for spark plug or just buy a spark plug wrench sold at a lot of auto parts store or atv motorcycle store easy as thato_O ngk b8es or br8es spark plug.
also that thing does not need a new plug it is something else more expensive:D
i use one that looks similar to this..there is only so much room under the gas tank lol

View attachment 32499
motion pro 1 off of rockymountainatv.com:eek:
13/16 or 21mm deep well socket
View attachment 32500

I'm sure it will be something more lol I just figure I should get the tool regardless. I got it for 650, the guy showed me the receipts for servicing. He took good care of it and had it in a garage the whole time. Has just been sitting for the last 6 months though. I'm starting with all the basic fixes and going from there, plan to clean the carb out once I get the brushes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larry's Shee
Plug, compression test , clean the carb, set the float, leak testing is very important if you dont know what that is i would suggest contacting awk a member on here for a tester, more then likely crank seals most blasters do every year or so, also you may wanna do an oil pump block off kit and mix your fuel 32:1 and get a tors delete kit with a throttle cable and screw, if all is well i would confirm the jetting with a few plug chops,

After all is said and done would be a very happy bike :) got any pics of the beast ?

I'm sure it will be something more lol I just figure I should get the tool regardless. I got it for 650, the guy showed me the receipts for servicing. He took good care of it and had it in a garage the whole time. Has just been sitting for the last 6 months though. I'm starting with all the basic fixes and going from there, plan to clean the carb out once I get the brushes.

Just realized you're female, no offense meant. Go to auto parts or harbor freight, get a metric tool/socket set.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catal...,f,EAFeatured+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=tool+kit
Either get a Clymers Repair manual or find the PDF on here.
These are the simplest machines ro work on.

Just realized you're female, no offense meant. Go to auto parts or harbor freight, get a metric tool/socket set.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore,f,EAFeatured+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=tool+kit

Hahaha its fine. This might be the first quad I've tried to work on but I work on things like this when I can. I actually just replaced the cv joints on my jetta. Growing up we always had atvs and I know a blaster is on the cheaper end so I figured that would be a good place to start if I was going to buy one haha. The hardest part is getting started, thats why all the questions lol. Even if they're dumb sometimes :D. Thank you for all the feedback, its been really nice. First thing I did was download a manual, im heading to the store today to look at sockets

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore,f,EAFeatured+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=tool+kit

The pilot jet is definitely clogged if it sat for 6 months with gas in float bowl.?
Pay close attention to that 1 it will make it difficult to starto_O let it soak in a cup of carb cleaner for like 10 min, hold it up to a light you should be able to see through it:)
compressed air or other methods could help to.You could buy a new 1 for like 3 bucks but why lol

Reactions: blasterbrian
The pilot jet is definitely clogged if it sat for 6 months with gas in float bowl.?
Pay close attention to that 1 it will make it difficult to starto_O let it soak in a cup of carb cleaner for like 10 min, hold it up to a light you should be able to see through it:)
compressed air or other methods could help to.You could buy a new 1 for like 3 bucks but why lol

I was hoping it would just be one of the jets. Idk how many videos I watched on how to clean those and the float. It did have gas in it the whole time so hopefully it's just a clogged jet. I was reading somewhere that getting a set of little brushes and files is a good idea also?

Plug, compression test , clean the carb, set the float, leak testing is very important if you dont know what that is i would suggest contacting awk a member on here for a tester, more then likely crank seals most blasters do every year or so, also you may wanna do an oil pump block off kit and mix your fuel 32:1 and get a tors delete kit with a throttle cable and screw, if all is well i would confirm the jetting with a few plug chops,

After all is said and done would be a very happy bike :) got any pics of the beast ?
Havent taken any pics yet..coming soon!

Reactions: blasterbrian