Removing chrome? Help!

Southernblasty

Feb 27, 2013
Mississippi
So I'm painting my blaster and it's tore down to about every piece imaginable and I have some +3 a arms I got used off eBay and they just so happen to be chrome or at least that's what I think it is. I want to paint them black and I have no idea how to get this stuff off. I've tried a wire wheel and grinder and that did nothing. I've tried sandblasting and lets just say it takes a lot of sand and a lot of blasting to accomplish anything. I searched google and have seen where u could supposedly remove chrome with oven cleaner or bleach, tried both of those techniques and still nothing. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Must be poopy chrome if you want to remove it. Maybe try contacting a chrome shop see what they say. It would have to be opposite of application, electrolisis.

electrolisys/acid bath will remove it.

check the caswell plating forum posts for more info.......
Search Results - Caswell Inc

but it can be painted over......
(warning: barefoot redneck method :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
So I tried doing some research on the whole electrolosis deal and none of the website were very clear as to how to do it. I know it involves soaking the parts in some sort of acidic solution and a battery but not to sure after that. Does anyone else know how this is done?

Last edited by a moderator:
now that i think about it, my g-force axle is missing the chrome right near/below the brake caliper, it was used and thats how it came.
one of those links above mentions brake fluid will remove it ??
maybe thats what dripped on my axle and took the chrome off ???
worth a try

Yea the chrome had some minor rust on it to begin with but whoever put it on didn't exactly make it have mirror finish, it's kind rinkly in some spots. Plus I wanted to stick with my black and red paint scheme and I already took the sandblaster to one and while it didn't work very well taking the chrome off it remove some of it very slowly so keeping them chrome just isn't an option at this point. I'm pretty much at the point of no return

now that i think about it, my g-force axle is missing the chrome right near/below the brake caliper, it was used and thats how it came.
one of those links above mentions brake fluid will remove it ??
maybe thats what dripped on my axle and took the chrome off ???
worth a try

Yea I read that too. I'm pretty sure I got some brake fluid laying around somewhere. I'll probably try that before I worry with trying to buy acid and the whole electrolysis deal

Ok so I finally got around to trying the reverse electroplating and I'm not quite finished with it but it worked pretty good. I mixed 1.5 gallons of muriatic acid that I got at a local pool store with 3 gallons of water, Placed the parts in the mixture with the positive end of some jumper cables I had hooked to my car to the parts and placed the negative end of the jumper cables in the acid and let them sit for about 3 hours And I got the majority of the chrome off. I'm gonna do it again later on today and I'll post some pictures of the results

Nice thread I'm kind of at same point of no return on another chrome exhaust i have. What paint are you going to use?? Fill me in please.. I'm going black aswell .. either rusty chrome or a nice paint finish..I'm saying nice paint finish.although u did use the techniques on here with complete success like i was amazed success and that's hard to do with me, lol. But the one i have is beyond chrome and im not sure but i don't think any one re chromes exhausts i think it's a legal thing I'm not sure i can't remember..I'm thinking a good sanding and primer high temp paint will do the job not sure though.. never done this before..