Reeds and jetting

Oct 30, 2017
Ok so I know this topic has probably been talked about several times on here but I want a pretty straight-forward response from some blaster vets in here. I have an 02, completely stock except for an FMF Gold Series Fatty and a Power Core and I just recently did the oil injection block off IMMEDIATELY. More than likely in a few weeks I'm going to be buying the VForce 4 Reed Valve system so I can pull the old junkets out and install those. What would you guys recommend for that setup along with running a 32:1 ratio? I know there is gonna be mixed responses but there has to be someone in here who has or HAD the same or similar setup with successful jetting. And yes I already know, leak down leak down leak down lol

Attachments

• 20171107_160709.jpg
    20171107_160709.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 314
you are not going to know unless you plug chop.
but i would say it would be 280 main
buy like 270 through 300 start high and plug chop down to see what looks best.
I also want to take the opportunity to post this\/
http://www.fmfracing.com/Jetting/Index
View attachment 31846
Yes speedy I did this first before putting up this thread but that' just the specs they recommend for their exhaust setups. Keep in mind I'm adding the VForce 4 reed system so idk if it' gonna be different than their recommended jetting for their pipes

like i said 280 290 or 300
for your V-FORCE REED'S with the fmf expansion pipeo_O
most people up the main jet 1 or two sizes after installing aftermarket reeds
to rich of a main jet is not going to hurt it but to lean of a main jet will........

Reactions: ProjectBlasturd
to rich of a main jet is not going to hurt it but to lean of a main jet will........
Ok so some
Ok so since they are recommending a 260 main, a 32.5 for the pilot, and needle position at 3rd all for their expansion setup, then it's safe to say that a 280 or 290 main would be muy best bet? What about the pilot and needle position bro? And since the photo you posted says 3rd position, is that 3rd notch from the top or 3rd notch from the bottom? That part confused me

3rd is the middle slot either way you slice it it will end up in the 3rd slot either from top or bottom lol
View attachment 31849
Oh crap haha. Probably should've just went downstairs and looked at my needle :D thanks bro. Btw do you know what jets come in the power up kit? It doesn't list the sizes. Also I'm guessing as for the pilot, the 32.5 is stock. Was thing about grabbing this kit https://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_atv/yamaha_200_YFS200_blaster_1988-2006.htm

jet kits could be a problem.
It is recommended to use only genuine mikuni jets soooo
buy the genuine mikuni main jets you don't need anything else
you should be fine and the pilot jet can be cleaned
so like i say buy the genuine mikuni main's from there if you want.
should be good:)

Last edited:
Oh damn. How are jet kits a possible problem? Aren' they all the same? :confused: and I just looked up a plug chop procedure and I gotta say that sucks! Really don't feel like cutting up plugs. There' a guy on YouTube who dies it with a 5/8 hole saw bit and it'l pull the whole porcelan out. May so it that way. Wish there was a way to do it without cutting at all. Someone on here I think doesn't even do a plug chop. They just do the jetting by means of sound a response which is imagine is pretty easy to do if your a mechanic like myself lol

Also that link I sent you for the jetsrus.com or whateber it was is for genuine mikuni jets

Reactions: speedyslyder
Also that link I sent you for the jetsrus.com or whateber it was is for genuine mikuni jets
not the oem equivalent's to the right for half the price:)
im not sure about the jet kit
never bought 1 but i doubt it is genuine mikuni?
as someone has to get paid lol

Last edited:
not the oem equivalent's to the right for half the price:)
im not sure about the jet kit
never bought 1 but i doubt it is genuine mikuni?
as someone has to get paid lol
And no not those ones if you look to the left there are genuine ones for double the price

So

Where do you recommend getting the legit jetted from?
jets r us is fine just buy the original mikuni's

can't recommend anything online i have a yamaha dealership 2 street's over:D
although they are ordering off line just keep it origional
who know what factory decided what was best for a mikuni carb other the mikuni themselves which YAMAHA went with get it:eek:

who know what factory decided what was best for a mikuni carb other the mikuni themselves which YAMAHA went with get it:eek:
Lol this is true. I did look at the own originals first but I hear people giving good input on the FMF kits and others as well. I figured they were all the same just from different brand names :p

Hey speedy if I take my stock reeds out to flip them for now until I get my VForce 4's can I use yamabond to seal everything up being that I don't have new gaskets at the moment?